This lightened up broccoli salad with bacon will be the star of your next gathering. The avocado mayo, cheddar cheese, bacon, and pecan pieces make this an easy side dish that no one can resist!
HEALTHY BROCCOLI SALAD WITH BACON
What happens if you eat almost all of the side dish that you were supposed to take to Thanksgiving lunch? Asking for a friend, of course. 😉
This healthy AND easy broccoli salad with bacon is so good I’m sad to say that there will be no leftovers for you to take back home.
We will be making this one again for Christmas and any other party we attend no matter what time of year!
HOW IS THIS A HEALTHIER VERSION?
While your traditional broccoli salad is packed with calories and fat this one has been lightened up but no flavor has been sacrificed! We’ve used avocado mayo instead of regular mayonnaise (Chosen Foods is our favorite which we buy at Costco but it is also available on Amazon – although at a higher price).
What to look for when shopping for cheese:
- no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
What to look for when shopping for bacon:
- no antibiotics
- no preservatives
- little to no added sugar
- try a brand like Applegate or 365 (Whole Foods brand)
MORE OPTIONS FOR DELICIOUS SIDE DISHESPrint
This lightened up broccoli salad with bacon will be the star of your next gathering. The avocado mayo, cheddar cheese, bacon, and pecan pieces make this a side dish that no one can resist!
- 5–6 heads of broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup avocado mayo (1/4 cup to 1/2 cup, depending on how many heads of broccoli you used)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pecans, pieces or chopped
- 3–4 strips of bacon, cooked and then chopped
- Wash and chop broccoli into small pieces and place into a large bowl
- Chop red onion and add to the mixing bowl with broccoli
- Combine avocado mayo, sea salt, ACV, and coconut sugar and add to mixing bowl
- Cook and chop bacon, add to mixing bowl
- Add cheddar cheese and pecans
- Combine all until mixed through
- Serve cold
To make it easier to combine try adding half of the chopped broccoli into a large mixing bowl and half of the avocado mayo mixture. Stir to combine. Add the remaining broccoli and additional ingredients and stir until all is combined.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American