Skinny Muddy Buddies are a twist on the classic Muddy Buddies (also known as Puppy Chow) with the perfect amount of chocolate and nut butter, they have all the flavor with fewer calories. You are going to fall in love with this recipe and make it regularly as a special snack.
Skinny Muddy Buddies
We've probably all heard of (or even made our own) Muddy Buddies (also known as Puppy Chow). Well, we decided we wanted to put a spin on the very popular recipe and cut out some of the unnecessary fat and sugar (and therefore calories). We love Muddy Buddies but they are addictive and those handfuls (!!) add up quickly.
We gave Skinny Muddy Buddies a try and were blown away. They're just as addictive and delicious!
My advice to you: don't make this when you are alone and tempted to eat it all. 😉 Get it divided up and handed out to your friends, family, or neighbors right after you make it.
Not only is this easy to make as a gift but it's also inexpensive. You will have the perfect gift for under $15 TOTAL!
We divided part of ours up (as seen below) in Ziploc containers as neighbor gifts. You could also put all of it into a large bowl and set it out at your next party.
Tips to "Lighten Up" the Original Muddy Buddies Recipe:
- We used a combination of almond butter and peanut butter. You can use whatever kind of nut butter you prefer but always make sure to get the ones without added sugar. This will cut down dramatically on the amount of added sugar in the recipe and you will not be able to tell!
- We usually get our almond butter and peanut butter at Costco but they also have a few on Amazon without added sugar. Check out this almond butter and this peanut butter.
- Choose dark chocolate of at least 70%.
- We used Endangered Species 72% Natural Dark Chocolate
- Use a product like Stevia in the Raw or Splenda Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend. You won't get the white color like you would with powdered sugar but you will get that perfect amount of sweetness on top - which is all that matters!
How Should I Store My Muddy Buddies?
The worst thing to happen is letting your muddy buddy recipe go stale. Cereal is infamous for getting stale fast, so when you make this recipe you know you need to store it properly to prevent this from happening.
My go-to method has been simply pouring into a Ziploc bag. However, when you are taking it to share with others, any airtight lidded storage container will work. Tupperware or an equivalent is just fine. Just make sure it is sealed properly.
How Long Will This Last?
Well, if you are asking how long it will last when eating, don't expect it to last more than a few minutes! If you are more interested in how long it stays fresh and safe to eat, I recommend eating within one week of making it. I am sure it would be perfectly safe to eat for a longer period of time, but it will begin getting stale at that point, no matter how well you store it for future eating.
More Healthy Snack Options:
If you are looking for more great healthier options for snacking, look no further. I've made many amazing options that you are sure to fall in love with making. Remember, moderation is always best, even with a healthier snack.
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Balls Recipe
- Guilt-Free Easy Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- Clean Eating Homemade Gummy Candy
- Sour Patch Grapes Fruit Candy Recipe
These Skinny Muddy Buddies are super easy to make with healthier ingredients like stevia to sweeten, dark chocolate, and a bit of almond butter!
- 10 cups gluten-free Rice Chex Cereal
- 4 TBSP almond butter
- 4 TBSP peanut butter
- 1 bar of dark chocolate (we used Endangered Species 72% Natural Dark Chocolate - 3 oz)
- 2 TBSP real butter
- 2 TBSP coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp coconut sugar, if desired
- ½ cup Stevia in the Raw or Splenda Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend (for dusting)
- Add Rice Chex Cereal to a large mixing bowl
- Melt chocolate bar, coconut oil, and butter (we do this in the microwave in 30-second increments)
- Add nut butter to the melted chocolate mixture and microwave until easy to stir
- Add nut butter and chocolate mixture to large mixing bowl and stir to coat cereal
- Sprinkle Stevia in the Raw over entire mixture and stir to combine
- Allow cooling
- Place into Ziploc bag (or large airtight container) and into the refrigerator until ready to eat
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American