The easiest part of having a blog is getting it set up. The hardest part is to keep it going. 😉 It’s a lot more work than anyone really realizes but if you love it and are passionate about it, I say go for it!
This blog is my full-time job and we receive a lot of questions about blogging resources and how to get started so I finally decided to put all of our information in one place. We’ve had blogs on basically all platforms. He and She Eat Clean started out on Blogger and it is now on Squarespace. My personal blog, which now re-directs to this blog, was on WordPress. I wouldn’t say I’m an expert on any platform (far from it really!) but I do know what you need to get set up…and it isn’t very much!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Check our disclosure policy for more details.
HOW TO START A BLOG
1. CHOOSE A NAME
First, you will need to choose a domain name. I would try to make this name the same as what your blog name will be and also what your social channels will be. You will also need to check and make sure that the name you choose has not been trademarked. There are many different ways to purchase domain names. The way you purchase yours might have to do with what you choose in step #2.
2. CHOOSE A BLOGGING PLATFORM
As I mentioned, we have experience on Blogger, WordPress, and Squarespace. I would recommend WordPress.
3. GET DOWN TO THE DETAILS
If you go with Squarespace or WordPress, you can choose themes in order to get the look you want from your blog. I wouldn’t spend too much time on this part because you can always change it later. Ours has changed multiple times. Pick something that you like and then move forward. The most important part is creating content!
PRODUCTS/SERVICES THAT WE LOVE
- Tailwind is basically how I keep my sanity most days. It allows me to schedule social media posts and keeps everything all in one place.
- Viraltag is similar to Tailwind and is the platform that we used before switching to Tailwind. We now use Tailwind because of the Tribes feature (and a few others) but Viraltag is still a great option.
- Mad Mimi – This is the email newsletter program that we use in order to send out our weekly newsletter containing new posts and emails for special events or promotions.
- DPD is the Digital Product Delivery program that we use to automatically send our products. DPD takes all of the manual work out of selling downloadable products online.