My Turkey Black Bean Chili is a favorite cold weather recipe in our house. It is so easy to throw together and let cook all day in your favorite slow cooker that you will wonder why you haven't made it more often. We love the addition of sweet potato for texture and flavor.
Turkey Black Bean Chili
Our lives are busy. We barely have time for each other and all of the tasks that annoyingly cloud our to-do lists. Some of us even make a list to make lists! Why not take a little bit of time to slow cook a pot of slow cooker Turkey Black Bean Chili? Chances are, it will be ready when you are!
I prefer cooking this in a 6-quart slow cooker. You can make smaller batches in a smaller slow cooker if needed. It is also excellent for making in large batches to portion and freezer for future meals.
Tips for Making Turkey Black Bean Chili
I love making a simple slow cooker meal, and this chili recipe is, of course, one I keep in rotation during the cool weather months. While this is one of those recipes that is easy to make already, I always appreciate any tips that make it take less time. Below are two of my favorite tricks to making this easy.
- Substitute cubed frozen butternut squash for the cut sweet potatoes
- Use a bag of frozen diced onions to save time in prep work
How to Serve Turkey Black Bean Chili
Everyone loves a big bowl of chili for dinner. I love adding a little zip to mine by mixing things up. Below are some of the ways we mix it up to make dinner time delicious and easy. This also helps a large batch of chili disappear faster without wasting any food when we get tired of eating the same thing at every meal.
- Serve in a baked potato or baked sweet potato
- Mix in some nonfat plain Greek yogurt or sour cream if you prefer to make a creamier soup
- Top with cheese, green onions, and tortilla strips for crunch
- Serve over tortilla chips with shredded cheese on top as nachos
More Chili Recipes
If you want a different spin on dinner other than our turkey black bean chili, then make sure to check out the links below. We have tons of delicious flavorful chili recipes to get you through the cold winter months of soup season.
- Healthy Instant Pot Bison Chili
- Southwest Style Bison Chili with Quinoa
- Low Carb Chicken Chili
- Clean Eating Chicken Chili Recipe
This was originally published on October 10, 2011, and updated on January 4, 2020.Print
Crockpot Turkey Black Bean Chili is the ideal recipe for keeping you satisfied while staying healthy. A delicious combination of flavors makes this one to keep on rotation on a regular basis.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes with juice
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse grind pepper
- 1.5 cups water
- Place vegetables and beans in the bottom of the crockpot
- Layer ground turkey breast, spices, seasonings, and water
- Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on low for eight hours
- Carefully remove lid and stir chili. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Replace lid, cook for an additional 20-30 minutes on low. Serve.
- If you are pressed for time, 1 hr on high equals 2 hours on low
- 2 SmartPoints per serving on WW FreeStyle Plan
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turkey black bean chili, crockpot turkey chili