We make this bison chili almost every week in the crock pot. A few weeks ago we decided to try it out in the Instant Pot and it was a keeper! I LOVE the fact that I can do everything right in the Instant Pot, which means I only have to clean ONE item! I can saute the onions and garlic add all of the ingredients and then just press a button. It took us less than 5 minutes to get everything started and then the Instant Pot did the rest of the work.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Read more about our disclaimer here.
We even made a quick time-lapse how-to video for Instagram!
Watch how to make our Healthy Instant Pot Bison Chili.
We have the 6 quart Instant Pot (it has over 22,000 customer reviews on Amazon with 4.5 stars!
- 1 lb ground beef, bison, or chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1-10 oz cans of diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 1-15 oz can of black beans (drained)
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp mustard (spicy, regular or a combination of both)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (to saute onions and garlic)
- Saute the onion and garlic in the Instant Pot (press the saute button and add olive oil, onion, and garlic).
- Once onions are translucent add your meat (ground chicken, beef, or bison) to the pot and cook until brown. Once cooked, drain if desired.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, cover and lock the lid. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button on the Instant Pot, then press the “Chili/Stew” button to begin the pressure cooking. It will automatically be set for 30 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is closed.
- Once the chili is done, the Instant Pot will automatically switch to the “Keep Warm” mode. Allow the pressure to release naturally or use the quick release.
- Top with cheese, cilantro, or green onions – if desired.
If using a crockpot, saute the onion and garlic and brown the meat in a separate pan. Add the onion, garlic, and meat to the crockpot. Add all remaining ingredients and cook on low for 4 hours.
This recipe is perfect for food prep! We portion ours out and when it’s time to eat we mix in quinoa and warm it up!