Make your own DIY dumbbells with things you already have around your house. This list will give you ideas for things to use plus what workouts to do and tips on what to look for. Using what you already have is an easy and inexpensive way to add weight to your workouts which takes the intensity of your workouts up a notch.
No gym, no problem… right? Well lately, finding workout equipment has been a real challenge. It seems as soon as gyms closed people rushed online to order workout equipment for their homes. With almost every single piece of workout equipment sold out you will have to be a little bit more creative with what you use for weights and other various equipment.
I went through our house to find items that I could share with you in order to inspire you to do the same thing. You can get a good workout in at home, even if it’s only 10 minutes. Try to keep up your workout habit as much as possible. It will give you more mental clarity and improve your mood. Many of these items may weigh less than what you are used to listing. If that is the case, increase the number of repetitions that you do!
Once you get your “dumbbells” together, try one of our workouts! We have a lot of weight training workouts and also HIIT/cardio workouts. P.S. Have you tried our 100 Workout? It’s the one that went viral! Let us be your personal trainers with our detailed 4, 6, and 12 week Workout plans! We guide your workout each day, telling you exactly what to do and what intensity to work at. We have everything you need! Find out more!
Below is our list of ideas for your DIY dumbbells. I’ve included the photo of what our specific products weigh but of course, yours will vary depending on the size. Be careful when using some of these products if they are in glass containers or they are hazardous (like some of the cleaning supplies).
- Gallons of water or milk
- Alcohol (be careful with these since most are glass!): wine bottles, Vodka/Tequila
- Jars of food: peanut butter, jelly, salsa, Mariana sauce, applesauce
- Cans: tuna, pumpkin, beans, tomatoes
- Random food (whatever is available): watermelon, pumpkin, etc
- Dishwashing liquid
- Liquid dish soap
- Floor cleaners: Pine-Sol, Bona
- Pet food (large bags could be used for chest press, curls, etc.)
- Cat litter
- Buckets filled with concrete or sand
TIPS TO FIND YOUR OWN DUMBBELLS
- Look in your pantry
- Check under sinks & the laundry room for cleaning supplies
- Scavenge your garage for random heavy items you might have
- Look for containers with handles to make them easier to grip for certain exercises
- Make sure all products are sealed property before using 🙂
EXERCISES TO TRY
- Bicep Curls
- Hammer Curls
- Tricep Kickbacks
- Overhead Tricep Extensions
- Lateral Raises
- Front Raises
- Shoulder Press
- One Arm Dumbbell Rows
- Chest Press
- Chest Flyes
- Farmers Walks (with the heavier items)
- At-Home Workout Resources
- Fitness Challenges (can be done at home!)
- Workout Tips
- How to Paint Weights
Leave a Reply