This Savory Chicken Casserole Recipe is one of the best guilt-free comfort food recipes we have ever had. You will not believe this is dairy-free, gluten-free, and paleo-approved.
Savory Chicken Casserole
Do the words casserole and clean eating REALLY go together? Well, today they do! This is a great feel-good food recipe. It actually tastes cheesy although there is no cheese and NO dairy of any kind!
Even though this is a healthy chicken casserole the whole family will love it. This is a great weeknight meal and it’s perfect for food prep because it tastes great leftover (hot or cold!).
Can I Use Different Vegetables?
You sure can! I love green peas in this because it reminds me of a creamy chicken pot pie without the crust. You can add in peas and carrots, broccoli, asparagus, or cauliflower. Use your imagination and use whatever vegetable you prefer or enjoy.
I also like adding in onions or mushrooms for a different richer flavor profile. This is just a guide. You can make this your own by adding in any vegetables you want.
Should I Bake This?
This recipe does not require baking. However, you can pour into a cast-iron skillet or a baking dish and pop into the oven to heat through and add a bit of crisp or color to the top. If you eat cheese, a bit of cheese on top can be another addition that adds flavor. You could even sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top for a bit of crunch.
As it stands, you don’t have to bake the savory casserole, but it adds an extra layer of texture you will probably love. Plus, it gives you a bit more time to throw together a nice side salad to go on the side of your casserole meal.
Can This Savory Chicken Casserole be Frozen?
Yes! I love that this is such a great make-ahead recipe to put into freezer bags or a disposable baking dish and wrap well to freeze. You can thaw and reheat, or add to the oven straight from the freezer to heat through.
Just make sure you label and date the casserole before you freeze. That way you will always know what you have on hand in your freezer.
Tips for Making Savory Chicken Casserole
- For the shredded chicken you can either boil it (our favorite!), make it in the Instant Pot, or if you are really pressed for time you can use rotisserie chicken.
- You can either buy the whole butternut squash and peel and cut yourself or let the grocery store do that for you by purchasing the already peeled and cubed butternut squash!
- Coconut cream is skimmed off the top of coconut milk (save that coconut milk for your next protein shake or smoothie!). Or you can purchase a can of the coconut cream (we’ve seen it at Trader Joes but it looks like it’s available on Amazon here too!)
This was originally published on March 11, 2014, and updated April 13, 2020.Print
This savory chicken casserole is one of the best guilt-free comfort food recipes we have ever had. You will not believe this is dairy free, gluten-free, and paleo approved.
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (skimmed off of the top of a can of coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cup green peas (if using frozen, thaw prior to adding to recipe)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- If you have not pre-prepared your chicken, place chicken in an additional pot of boiling water for 8-15 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and shred chicken using forks or a stand mixer. Not sure how to boil chicken? We’ve got you covered! Check out this post.
- Meanwhile, soften cubed and peeled butternut squash in a large pot of boiling water for approximately 40 minutes. Remove butternut squash from pot using a strainer and place in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash butternut squash to a smooth, but somewhat chunky texture.
- Add apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, thyme and onion powder to the mashed butternut squash and stir to combine.
- Mix in the coconut creme and oil, stirring to combine.
- Stir in coconut oil, coconut creme, shredded chicken and green peas.
- Place mixture in a large skillet and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
Recipe adapted from Paleo Grubs Stove-tip “Cheesy” Paleo Chicken Casserole
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American