This savory chicken casserole is one of the best guilt-free comfort food recipes we have ever had. You will not believe this is dairy free, gluten-free, and paleo approved.
Do the words casserole and clean eating REALLY go together? Well, today they do! This is a great feel-good food recipe. It actually tastes cheesy although there is no cheese and NO dairy of any kind!
Even though this is a healthy chicken casserole the whole family will love it. This is a great weeknight meal and it’s perfect for food prep because it tastes great leftover (hot or cold!).
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Read more about our disclaimer here.
TIPS TO MAKE THIS SAVORY CHICKEN CASSEROLE:
- For the shredded chicken you can either boil it (our favorite!), make it in the Instant Pot, or if you are really pressed for time you can use rotisserie chicken.
- You can either buy the whole butternut squash and peel and cut yourself or let the grocery store do that for you by purchasing the already peeled and cubed butternut squash!
- Coconut cream is skimmed off the top of coconut milk (save that coconut milk for your next protein shake or smoothie!). Or you can purchase a can of the coconut cream (we’ve seen it at Trader Joes but it looks like it’s available on Amazon here too!)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (skimmed off of the top of a can of coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cup green peas (if using frozen, thaw prior to adding to recipe)
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- If you have not pre-prepared your chicken, place chicken in an additional pot of boiling water for 8-15 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and shred chicken using forks or a stand mixer. Not sure how to boil chicken? We’ve got you covered! Check out this post.
- Meanwhile, soften cubed and peeled butternut squash in a large pot of boiling water for approximately 40 minutes. Remove butternut squash from pot using a strainer and place in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash butternut squash to a smooth, but somewhat chunky texture.
- Add apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, thyme and onion powder to the mashed butternut squash and stir to combine.
- Add coconut creme and oil, stirring to combine.
- Stir in coconut oil, coconut creme, shredded chicken and green peas.
- Place mixture in a large skillet and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
Recipe adapted from Paleo Grubs Stove-tip “Cheesy” Paleo Chicken Casserole