As you know by now, we are avid hikers and love being outside. We aren't a couple who boxes ourselves into the gym each day, we believe staying fit and healthy is so much more than that! We are always trying to earn as many steps as we can. Hiking is just one of the ways we earn our steps. We also like to walk as much as possible and throw a little running in there too! There is no wrong way to earn your steps...find what you love and go out there and do it!
Lately, we've been to Table Rock State Park in SC and Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We only live about 2.5 hours from GSMNP but for some reason we always go somewhere else hiking. We decided to try something new so we woke up early last Saturday (around 5 AM) to make the drive. We had two hikes planned and we were able to finish both of them. We hiked 13 miles but sometimes I think it would be more accurately described as ice skating! I'm so glad we had our Ice Trekkers because most people weren't even able to make it around the ice. The night before we left we took a trip to Whole Foods Market to have our weekly "meeting" and to grab some supplies (food) for our hike. We packed spicy Thai trail mix, cashews, protein bars, and fruit.
Since we want everyone to get in as many steps as possible each day we've put together our top tips so that a few of them will hit home with you and you can start racking up your own steps!
5 Tips to Get More Steps Every Day:
- Wear a tracker - it's really eye-opening to see how many steps you AREN'T taking some days! Plus, when you are really close to that next big number it motivates you to get up and moving!
- We know everyone tries to show off just how strong they are when it comes to taking the groceries in...but do NOT get all the groceries in one trip! Take more steps by unloading just a few at a time.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Keep the things you need often out of arms reach so you actually have to stand up and walk to get them (i.e. your phone, keys, glasses, etc.)
- Park at the end of the parking lot
How do you earn your steps? What are some tips you would add to this list to help others?