This is a guest post written by Tiffany.
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice (or my favorite, Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Wild and Brown Rice Blend – it’s SO yummy!)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb Organic Turkey Sausage, sliced approximately 1/2 inch rounds
- You can typically find a kielbasa in your natural foods section or natural foods store. If you can’t find this, try the Bruce Aidells brand – it only has a few ingredients and is “all natural”. To make Gluten Free, just add Gluten-Free Sausage!
- 3 cans of red beans, rinsed (you may substitute dried beans that are pre-soaked overnight)
- 1 1/2 c Organic, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Bring 3 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice to boil in a pot over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, place a lid on pot and let cook for approximately 45 minutes.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is warm, add onion, garlic and organic turkey sausage. Saute until onions brown and become clear.
- In saute pan, add red beans, organic low-sodium chicken broth, cayenne pepper, chili powder, black pepper and sea salt. Stir together. Cook on medium for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve bean/sausage combo over the brown rice.