Looking for a different taste without sacrificing your clean-eating, healthy lifestyle? Pretend you are strolling down Bourbon street with this Red Beans and Rice recipe. The perfect combination of heat and spice, with none of the bad stuff that you shouldn't be fueling your body with!
CLEAN EATING RED BEANS & RICE
Infuse a bit of New Orleans in your meal prep this week! Who said it can't be Mardi Gras whenever you like? With this sure-to-please Clean Eating Cajun Red Beans and Rice, you don't have to skip the flavor in lieu of the health - it's all there!
Play with the spice as you prepare this recipe. We like it with a little bit of heat - you will see that in the recipe. If it's not your thing, go ahead and use less seasoning. While the recipe calls for brown rice or wild rice, you can have a bit of fun with this. If neither options fit your lifestyle at the moment, substitute quinoa or even cauliflower rice. This is your recipe and your healthy meal prep - you do you!
Can't get enough Cajun flavor? It doesn't have to be Fat Tuesday to make another one of our spicy dishes. Go ahead, make your plans to try out our Crockpot Jambalaya.Print
Pretend you are strolling down Bourbon street with this Red Beans and Rice recipe. The perfect combination of heat and spice!
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice (or my favorite, Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Wild and Brown Rice Blend - it's SO yummy!)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb Organic Turkey Sausage, sliced approximately 1/2 inch rounds
- You can typically find a kielbasa in your natural foods section or natural foods store. If you can't find this, try the Bruce Aidells brand - it only has a few ingredients and is "all natural". To make Gluten Free, just add Gluten-Free Sausage!
- 3 cans of red beans, rinsed (you may substitute dried beans that are pre-soaked overnight)
- 1 1/2 cup Organic, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Bring 3 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice to boil in a pot over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, place a lid on pot and let cook for approximately 45 minutes.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is warm, add onion, garlic and organic turkey sausage. Saute until onions brown and become clear.
- In saute pan, add red beans, organic low-sodium chicken broth, cayenne pepper, chili powder, black pepper and sea salt. Stir together. Cook on medium for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve bean/sausage combo over the brown rice.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: red beans and rice, red beans, cajun, mardi gras, spicy