Heart rate training is very important in order to meet fitness goals. Whether you are just beginning a fitness routine or you are an advanced athlete, knowing what your heart rate should be for a particular exercise is key. Learn how to Calculate Your Target Heart Rate Zones.
HEART RATE ZONES
It’s not something we talk about often on the blog, but there is A LOT of truth to working within your target heart rate zone, especially when paying close attention to fat burning. To accurately track your heart rate during exercise, you will need a heart rate monitor – versions with a chest strap and strapless are available, as well as those designed specifically for women and men.
Here are a few things to consider:
- NEVER work over your max heart rate. If you find yourself creeping up there, dial back the intensity. It’s not going to be an effective workout if you damage your heart, lungs, or end up passing out halfway through the workout.
- Effective workouts combine heart rate intensity found in AT LEAST two of the categories, such as Fat-Burning and Recovery.
- HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) does not comply with the regular fat burning heart rate zones. This is an exception! Remember, do NOT work past your max heart rate!
- If you are looking for HIIT workouts we have plenty! Also, try our 100 Workout or Spell Your Workout which will absolutely get you to your max heart rate!
HOW TO CALCULATE YOUR HEART RATE ZONES
To determine your maximum heart rate, subtract your age from 220. For example, a 30-yr old would have a maximum heart rate of 220 – 30 = 190.
The following percentages should be applied to find your target heart rate zones:
- Anaerobic Threshold Zone: 85%-100%
- Target Heart Rate Zone: 65% – 85%
- Fat Burning Zone: 50% – 65%
- Recovery Zone: Up to 50%
What success have you had training in certain heart rate zones?
Let us be your personal trainers with our detailed 4, 6 and 12 week She Sweats Workout plans! We guide your workout each day, telling you exactly what to do and what intensity to work at. We have everything you need! Find out more!10
Leave a Reply