This is a very simple (yet delicious) oatmeal recipe you can make overnight in a slow cooker that yields 12-14 servings! When making oatmeal in a slow cooker it is important to use steel cut oats which are the least processed form of oats aside from groats. They are high in fiber and protein and are low on the glycemic index (about 40-45) so they are a perfect complex carbohydrate breakfast option (and this recipe makes it easy to have for the entire week)! Enough with the details, here's the recipe:
HEALTHY CROCK POT BREAKFAST RECIPES ECOOKBOOK
If you love this recipe, you will LOVE our new Healthy Crock Pot Breakfast Recipes eCookbook! You get 14 (11 oat recipes + 3 casserole recipes) mouth-watering breakfast recipes complete with full page pictures, a shopping list, and macros for each recipe! Learn more here.
Clean Eat Recipe: Apple-Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats
- 3 cups Organic Steel Cut Oats (Use Gluten Free Steel Cut Oats for a Gluten-Free Alternative)
- 3 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 10 cups water (you can use more, but we like the thicker texture)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 c Ideal Brown No Calorie Sweetener
- 3 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract (avoid HFCS!)
- Spray your crock pot with non-stick spray.
- Put all the ingredients into your slow cooker and cook overnight on low (around 8 hours).
3. Wake up to the delicious smell of your Apple-Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats. Don't freak out...the picture below is what your oats will look like when you wake up.
4. Stir a few times & serve! See - all you have to do is stir, stir, stir! :-)
If desired, you can add sliced apple, walnuts, almonds, flax seed, protein powder, or fresh berries.
He & She Tip: Store in a container that holds at least 3.5 liters.
Gluten Free Version: Use Gluten-Free Steel Cut Oats as an alternative.
Makes approx 12 servings. I have found each serving to be around 1 1/2 cups. However, if you have a scale you may want to weigh yours & divide that by 12 to get a more accurate weight of the serving size.
Macros (per serving):
- Calories - 153
- Fat - 3.1 g
- Carbs - 30 g
- Fiber - 4.4 g
- Sugar - 0.8 g
- Protein - 6.2 g
Enjoy our recipes? Get help with your grocery shopping here.