What? You can eat pancakes that are clean? Yep! You got it! Not only did this month's Oxygen Magazine have an AMAZING smoothie recipe, but it has a pancake recipe that is "to die for"! Jim and I have already had these twice and I just have to say, iHop has nothin' on me with this recipe!
Banana Walnut Protein Pancakes
Oxygen Magazine, March 2012, "Breakfast is Served," pg 84
- 3 small bananas
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 6 egg whites
- 1 c rolled oats (Substitute Gluten Free rolled oats)
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 2 tbsp protein powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (avoid HFCS)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (not Aunt Jemima y'all - the REAL stuff!)
- 1/2 c plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1. In a shallow bowl, mash bananas until smooth. Add walnuts; set aside.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
3. In a large prep bowl, combine dry ingredients.
4. In another bowl, combine the mashed bananas, walnuts and egg whites with wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix gently to combine.
5. Heat a skillet on medium-high heat with a light coat of cooking oil (coconut). Pour about 1/4 c of batter for each pancake (yes, those are large pancakes!). Cook on one side until bubbles appear on top, then flip to cook the other side, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat until all batter has been used. Serve.
He & She Tip: You will be cleaning bowls 'till the cows come home! Yes, it's a little labor intensive, but I promise the reward is well worth it!
Makes 8 servings
- Calories - 160
- Fat - 6g
- Carbs - 20g
- Dietary Fiber - 3g
- Sugars - 6g
- Protein - 9g
Enjoy our recipes? Get help with your grocery shopping here.