Need a jolt in the mornings? Try this Coffee Protein Shake that not only packs the caffeine you need to get moving but also has 27 grams of protein.
Coffee Protein Shake/Smoothie Recipe
YES, you can put coffee in your protein shake! Talk about the best of both worlds…
This Coffee Protein Shake definitely a go-to shake for those early mornings where you just don’t feel like putting together a full breakfast and you’re having a tough time waking up (which, for me, happens to be most mornings). To get an energy boost I throw in some organic instant coffee and for some extra dietary fiber, you can add flax (because the shake is so delicious you won’t even taste it)!
Nutritional Benefits of this Coffee Protein Smoothie
This shake has so many great nutritional benefits, depending on the protein powder you use, it’s a great source of Omega 3’s (3.4 grams) and dietary fiber (almost 40% of your daily needs), protein, as well as potassium, calcium, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. We’ve made this shake with both whey protein and veggie protein and love it both ways!
Alternate Ways to Make this Protein Smoothie
- Use brewed coffee (that is cold)
- Add ingredients like oats and/or a frozen banana but keep in mind those will change the macros.
- We always add frozen squash to our shakes (no, you can’t taste it!). You can read more about that awesome unexpected ingredient here.
- Take a scoop of protein powder and a cup of almond milk and shake it up. Then use it as creamer in your coffee.
Interested in making cold brew coffee? We have a step-by-step guide on how to make cold brew coffee here.
More Protein Shake Recipes
- Blueberry Avocado Protein Smoothie
- Key Lime Pie Protein Shake
- Chocolate Almond Oatmeal Protein Shake (tastes like a Wendy’s frosty!)
- How to Make Cold Brew Coffee (not a shake but definitely worth trying!)
This was originally published on August 7, 2012, and updated March 7, 2019.Print
This Coffee Protein Shake not only packs the caffeine you need to get moving but also has 27 grams of protein.
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until all ice cubes are blended
- Category: Beverage
- Cuisine: American