Join our 7-Day Smartphone Detox and help kick the habit that is making you unproductive and unhealthy.
We introduced our detox your digital life challenge last week and the response has been awesome! You asked for more information on the 7-Day Smartphone Detox so that's what I'm here to share today.
Let's be honest, we could all use a 7-Day Smartphone Detox. We've come to rely on them for everything. They are attached to us at all times. We can't go more than 20 minutes without checking them. We look at them more than we look at our friends or even our own children. It doesn't have to be this way.
Smartphones are just a part of our lives now whether we like it or not. I, for one, would love to go back to the time when we didn't have them or social media. While I know that's far-fetched, it's how I feel. Especially being a blogger - it's a lot to handle. When we first started this website there wasn't as much to keep up with and while I love connecting with people on different platforms sometimes I just can't mentally handle it and I have to take a step back (this often happens on Instagram!).
I know many of you feel the same way, even if you don't have a business on the internet. Sometimes we may not even realize what kind of influence scrolling through social media has on us but its subtle messages tell us that we aren't enough, our kids aren't enough, what we have isn't enough, etc. I've talked extensively about how social media has impacted my life and body image. You can read my posts below if you are interested in more information.
- Social Media & The Fitness Industry
- Social Media: Love It or Hate It? – WHAM Podcast #004
- How Getting Into Fitness Ruined My Body Image
Once you decide to give it up for a few hours, days, or even completely you will notice your life changing for the better - trust me! When we are hiking we are almost always in the middle of nowhere on a mountain. There are times we don't have cell service for over 7 days! It's magical. 😉
We hope you will join us on this 7-Day Smartphone Detox! We have a limited time on this earth lets make it count!
7-DAY SMARTPHONE DETOX
Day 1: Turn Off All Push Notifications
- Let's be honest again, we don't need to know when anyone likes or comments on our social media posts. We don't need to know each time we get a new email. We don't need to know each news story when it breaks (talk about depressing!).
- They might not seem very distracting but they are! Your phone may ding or vibrate each time. Even if you have the sounds turn off, each time you wake your phone you will see them on your lock screen and it will distract you from whatever you were doing.
- Let's say you get 10 notifications per day (that's being conservative!) and each one distracts you for 5 minutes, that's almost an hour per day wasted!
- It's time to turn off ALL of your notifications. How to do this will vary by phone but I challenge you to go do this right after reading this post.
Day 2: Unfollow Accounts That Make You Feel Bad About Yourself
- This is one that I am extremely passionate about. If you follow people that you think are inspiring but when you really think about it they just make you feel back about yourself, unfollow them!
- Once I unfollowed a TON of fitness accounts I started feeling much better personally. For you, this could be home decor bloggers, mommy bloggers, etc. If an account makes you feel like you don't make enough money, don't have the ideal body, don't have the perfect kids or house unfollow them!
- RELATED: 5 Ways to Break Through Negative Body Image
Day 3: Limit Your House on Social Media (for example: never before 10 AM or after 8 PM)
- Establish your own rules for your social media (or phone in general) use. These can vary based on your lifestyle but I think a good starting point is never before 10 AM and never after 8 PM.
- You could set the alarm on your phone to remind you to turn off or activate your do not disturb feature at these times. No excuses, turn them off!
Day 4: Delete Apps You Never Use
- This is an easy day! Go through your phone and delete the apps you never use! They are always glaring back at you when you look at your phone. Clean them off and clean it up!
Day 5: Read a Book Instead of Scrolling
- It's AMAZING how much time we spend scrolling through social media. I think we would all be completely shocked if we truly knew the amount of time we have wasted. Sure, some of it isn't wasted but we all get sucked in and then before you know it 10 minutes...or 1 hour goes by and we're STILL scrolling!
- Pick up a physical book (try to resist reading one on your phone!) and start reading. Learn something new or just zone out with your favorite non-fiction book. If you need recommendations, here's 4 books we think that everyone should read.
Day 6: Create Memories without Posting Pictures on Social Media
- Yes, I'm serious! You can take pictures with your phone (if you insist!) but don't post them on social media. Instead, ENJOY the moment. Take in everything that is happening without feeling the need to immediately post on Instagram and Facebook.
- Once your event is over (whether that is a wedding, vacation, or just a typical day) and you feel like you need to, then you can post the photos.
Day 7: Turn Off Your Phone for the Entire Day
- It's not as hard you might think! YOU CAN DO IT! Turn off your cell phone for an entire day and just be COMPLETELY in the moment. You've done it before cell phones, you can do it again.
APPS THAT CAN HELP WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE DETOX
- Moment: put down your phone and get back to your life