"SIMPLE CAN BE HARDER THAN COMPLEX: YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD TO GET YOUR THINKING CLEAN TO MAKE IT SIMPLE. BUT IT’S WORTH IT IN THE END BECAUSE ONCE YOU GET THERE, YOU CAN MOVE MOUNTAINS.” — STEVE JOBS
Scott and Whitney are high school sweethearts and have been married since December of 2007. He started eating clean and working out when he realized that truly fit lifestyle requires a combination of both clean eating and focused exercising. She did not jump on board until two years after he started and since then there has been no looking back for either one! They are both avid hikers with a goal to hike as many trails as possible in each National Park! You can read more about their hiking adventures here.
Fitness is a large passion of ours, but finance is a top priority and huge passion as well. We both majored in finance in college and continue to be captivated with personal finance. We decided to add this section to our existing website to help individuals live an enjoyable life through health and wealth. We realize we share a strong passion in helping our community get better at budgeting, saving and investing, and general personal finance along with living a healthier lifestyle in regards to moving more and eating healthy.
We're not perfect, but we strive to be as disciplined and responsible as possible by living within our means; it's simple - we focus on the things we need in our pursuit of happiness, not the things we want in the relentless chase for status.
A few things about us:
- We have no credit card debt (but we do USE credit cards).
- We have no student loan debt.
- We have no other miscellaneous debt.
The best part, you can too if you just follow some simple strategies!
Living a balanced life requires saying "no" more than saying "yes". This applies to finance and fitness. It is not about deprivation, it's about self-control.
A few of our philosophies:
- We don't think that life should be lived in a gym.
- We don't think that life should be lived always trying to achieve the "perfect" body.
- We don't think that life should be about being lean enough to see your six pack.
- We don't think that life should be a comparison or competition.
- We don't think that you should wake up every morning and spend 15 minutes trying to take the perfect "selfie" and then post that on social media.
- We don't stay super lean all the time.
- We go to the gym so that we can do the activities that we love to do (such as hiking) but we don't live there. We have a life outside of the gym and hope that every single person who reads our content will do the same.
- We try to live a balanced lifestyle which means not always worrying about exactly what ingredients are in every single thing we eat. We eat clean at least 80% of the time, but realize life is more than trying to maintain control over (or count/track) each and every item we consume.
You can connect with us on the following social media channels but we don't let social media take over our lives. We hope you feel the same way!
ABOUT HE + SHE
He is Scott. He is 34. He grew up in a suburb of Atlanta and now lives in a small town in Georgia. He is the Vice President of Finance for a non-profit golf organization. He grew up eating the exact opposite foods one would consider to be healthy – ONLY red meat, very little veggies, junk food snacks, and overly processed foods. Food was based on convenience rather than nutritional value and he didn’t know the nutritional difference between fried chicken versus grilled chicken until he was in his 20's. He lost his dad (age 49) to cancer when he was 16. He tries to stick with mostly whole foods and enjoys learning as much as he can about the clean eating lifestyle. His hobbies are baseball (lifelong Cubs fan!), hiking, backpacking, weight lifting, cycling, mountain biking, and investing. He hopes he can inspire others to learn about clean eating and the perils of processed foods by sharing his experiences.
Connect with Scott on Instagram: carlsonscott83.
She is Whitney. She is 31. She grew up on a family farm outside of Atlanta. She spent her childhood helping on the farm and learned the value of hard work early. She grew up eating whatever was fixed for her which was not all necessarily bad; however, there are pictures of her walking around drinking Coke out of a baby bottle! (Thanks Mom!) She graduated from UNG with a degree in Finance. She left her corporate job in May 2013 to become an online coach, personal trainer, and run this website. She loves all things related to minimalism, finance, clean eating, hiking, backpacking, and weight lifting. She truly wants everyone she knows and loves to eat clean so they can live long, healthy lives!
Scott & Whitney's Top 7:
Favorite Recipe: Honey Chipotle Ground Chicken
Favorite Dessert: Clean Cookie Dough
Favorite Protein Powder: TLS Whey Protein Shakes
Favorite Workout Gear: Adjustable Dumbbells
Favorite Kitchen Gadget: Vitamix
Favorite Post: Getting Started with Clean Eating