We are very excited to finally be able to put all of our information and thoughts into one place and hopefully help others! We are often asked what we eat and what workouts we do so we decided for our first post we would basically just tell our story. So, here it goes….
We are Scott and Whitney and we are high school sweethearts. We got married in December of 2007. We were both at a healthy weight when we got married; however,
we gained a lot of weight in the first year we were married
(around 20 lbs each) by dining out frequently at places like On The Border, Chick-Fil-A, Zaxby’s, and McDonald’s, just to name a few. In September of 2008, we took a trip to see the Cubs in Chicago and once we saw the pictures from that trip we knew that something had to change. Scott started going to the gym in the evenings and after making it part of his daily routine – he was hooked. Typical of anything he becomes interested in, he started reading EVERYTHING he could on nutrition and weightlifting.
A few years later, I (Whitney) started paying attention to what I was eating but still was not eating enough and didn’t really understand nutrition. I also wasn’t following a consistent workout routine. I would do workout videos at home because I was too shy to go to the gym. 😉 (P.S. Here are 6 Tips to Get Over Your Fear of the Weight Room)
He finally convinced me to the gym and I have been hooked ever since!
This post was originally published on January 10, 2012, and updated December 16, 2018.
Update: We’ve maintained this lifestyle for years now! Read the 5 things we’ve done to maintain this lifestyle for over 7 years!
What have we been able to accomplish with eating clean (combined with lifting weights)?
- He went from a waist size of 38” to a waist size of 32”
- She went from a size 10 to a size 2/4
The most important results are that we are both much happier, much stronger, and have much more energy.
Now, time to answer the two questions we get all the time:
What do you eat?
- The best (and easiest) way to describe it is that we eat clean, natural, whole foods that have not been modified or altered once they have been harvested or slaughtered. No fried foods, no GMO foods, no chemical preservatives, no refined or added sugars, and no highly processed foods (limited processing is sometimes necessary – e.g. Greek yogurt). Or, for those familiar with the concept, we eat clean. Don’t get us wrong, we do indulge occasionally but we don’t make a habit out of it (you can learn more about how we’ve maintained this lifestyle here).
- Both of us eat every 2-3 hours (6-8 meals a day). Our meals consist of protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and vegetables. You can view a sample of our meals here and here.
- Sundays are the days that we normally prepare all of our food for the week. Read our ultimate step-by-step guide to meal prep here.
- You may find these meal plans helpful:
What workouts do you do?
- We lift weights (yes, using heavy weights!) with a mix of cardio and HIIT. Excessive cardio is not the answer if you want a lean body…you MUST lift weights.
- UPDATE: We now have our very own 12-week transformation plan available! We also have additional 4, 6, and 12-week workout plans. Find your perfect plan here.
- Our cardio of choice is usually hiking. Here’s our popular post on how to get in shape for hiking and our hiking tips and trip recaps!
Eating clean is definitely a team effort for us and the mission is to help other couples (and individuals) with tips and tricks to achieve this lifestyle.
When we started this lifestyle, both of us worked full time and spent about an hour in the gym five days a week and several hours in the kitchen each week. It CAN be done! If your spouse or significant other isn’t fully on board yet, here are some tips to help them eat healthier.
Looking for more transformation inspiration?
Let us be your personal trainers with our detailed 4, 6 and 12-week She Sweats Workout plans! We guide your workout each day, telling you exactly what to do and what intensity to work at. We have everything you need! Find out more!114