1 lb sweet potatoes - skin ON, shredded (use the large holes on your grater)
1 medium yellow onion, shredded and liquid drained
2 TBSP oat flour (can also substitute the gluten-free oat flour variety)
1 TSP mexican chili powder
1/2 TSP garlic powder
1/2 TSP ground mustard
1/2 TSP sea salt
1/2 TSP coarse ground black pepper
2 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Using the large holes of your cheese grater, shred 1 lb of sweet potatoes.
3. Using the large holes of your cheese grater, shred a medium yellow onion. Drain the liquid from the onion, pat dry.
4. Combine sweet potatoes, onion, oat flour, Mexican chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper in a bowl, stirring with a spoon to ensure it is mixed.
5. Add egg whites to sweet potato mixture.
6. Using your hands, shape mixture into small tots/balls approximately 3/4" in diameter.
7. Place on baking sheet sprayed with olive oil and bake until crispy, approximately 22-25 minutes.
Makes 40 tots.
Serving size = 10 tots
He&She Tip: These will NOT be as crunchy as traditional potato tots since those are fried. Keeping the skin on in this recipe will increase the texture of the tots.