I have been dreaming of sweet potato tots for a while now. Remember your mother making you regular potato tots as a child? Oh the memories that holds for me! Now, you can continue those memories but in a healthy, slow-burning carbohydrate sorta-way. The perfect (and somewhat portable) side dish to your lunchtime or dinnertime meal. These will be perfect for your BBQ!
- Calories: 144
- Protein: 6g
- Carbs: 31g
- Fats: 0g
- Sugars: 5g
- Sodium: 284mg
- 1 lb sweet potatoes - skin ON, shredded (use the large holes on your grater)
- 1 medium yellow onion, shredded and liquid drained
- 2 TBSP oat flour (can also substitute the gluten-free oat flour variety)
- 1 TSP Mexican chili powder
- 1/2 TSP garlic powder
- 1/2 TSP ground mustard
- 1/2 TSP sea salt
- 1/2 TSP coarse ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Using the large holes of your cheese grater, shred 1 lb of sweet potatoes.
- Using the large holes of your cheese grater, shred a medium yellow onion. Drain the liquid from the onion, pat dry.
- Combine sweet potatoes, onion, oat flour, Mexican chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper in a bowl, stirring with a spoon to ensure it is mixed.
- Add egg whites to sweet potato mixture.
- Using your hands, shape mixture into small tots/balls approximately 3/4" in diameter.
- Place on a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil and bake until crispy, approximately 22-25 minutes.
- These will NOT be as crunchy as traditional potato tots since those are fried. Keeping the skin on in this recipe will increase the texture of the tots.
- Makes 40 sweet potato tots, a serving would be approximately 10 tots
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American