Chocolate Apple Oatmeal Protein Bars
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup natural nut butter (You can use any type of nut butter you prefer. I used peanut butter since I had more on hand - you will see those macros below - they will change based off of your nut butter choice.)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
4 scoops chocolate protein powder (Your selection of brand and type of protein will also impact your macros)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1. Line an 8" square baking dish/pan with parchment paper (wax paper will also work if you do not have parchment paper on hand). He & She Tip: I trimmed my parchment paper to fit and put one strip going longways and one strip sideways.
2. Warm the nut butter and the coconut oil in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften.
3. Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Mix using hands or a spoon until well blended.
4. Pour mixture into lined dish and smooth with the back of a spoon until even.
5. Place in freezer for 45 minutes. Remove from freezer, lifting parchment paper and bars out of the pan and place on a flat surface. Using a pizza wheel, cut into 8 bars. Serve.
Gluten Free Version: Use Gluten-Free Rolled Oats as an alternative
Fat: 21 g
Protein: 24 g
Carbs: 28 g
Sugar: 5 g
These are a great little clean pick-me-up but due to a close 30% fat, 30% protein and 30% carb ration, I wouldn't recommend eating these more than once or twice per week (depending on your calorie intake needs). You can save the rest in the freezer and take out at the beginning of the day - they should defrost in time for your 3rd or 4th meal of the day.
Have you tried these? What type of variation would you suggest?
Adapted from Oxygen Magazine's July 2011 Article, "Portable Protein"
This recipe has been linked on Stephanie.Fitness!