I have been dreaming of sweet potato tots for a while now. Remember your mother making you regular potato tots as a child? Oh the memories that holds for me! Now, you can continue those memories but in a healthy, slow-burning carbohydrate sorta-way. The perfect (and somewhat portable) side dish to your lunchtime or dinnertime meal. These will be perfect for your Fourth of July BBQ!
Clean Eat Recipe :: Sweet Potato Tots
- 1 lb sweet potatoes – skin ON, shredded (use the large holes on your grater)
- 1 medium yellow onion, shredded and liquid drained
- 2 TBSP oat flour (can also substitute the gluten-free oat flour variety)
- 1 TSP mexican chili powder
- 1/2 TSP garlic powder
- 1/2 TSP ground mustard
- 1/2 TSP sea salt
- 1/2 TSP coarse ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Using the large holes of your cheese grater, shred 1 lb of sweet potatoes.
3. Using the large holes of your cheese grater, shred a medium yellow onion. Drain the liquid from the onion, pat dry.
4. Combine sweet potatoes, onion, oat flour, Mexican chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper in a bowl, stirring with a spoon to ensure it is mixed.
5. Add egg whites to sweet potato mixture.
6. Using your hands, shape mixture into small tots/balls approximately 3/4″ in diameter.
7. Place on baking sheet sprayed with olive oil and bake until crispy, approximately 22-25 minutes.
Makes 40 tots.
Serving size = 10 tots
- Calories: 144
- Protein: 6g
- Carbs: 31g
- Fats: 0g
- Sugars: 5g
- Sodium: 284mg
He & She Tip: These will NOT be as crunchy as traditional potato tots since those are fried. Keeping the skin on in this recipe will increase the texture of the tots.
Enjoy our recipes? Get help with your grocery shopping here.