- Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body
- Calcium is an essential nutrient which means the body cannot produce it on its own, so it must be absorbed through food and/or supplements, although practically no one gets enough calcium from food (see the sources below).
- When calcium consumption is too low on a regular basis, the body draws it from the bones which can lead to skeletal disorders.
- Food Sources of Calcium:
- Non-dairy: Almonds (although you'd need to eat a pound of almonds to meet the RDA listed below!), Kale (1.5 lbs to meet RDA!), Broccoli (5 lbs to meet RDA!)
- If you consume dairy then Greek yogurt is a great source, but you'd need to eat almost 2 lbs to get the 1,000 mg RDA!
- Builds & maintains bones - although this is what most people consider the primary benefit of calcium, it also:
- Can help burn fat (see research study here)
- Supports cardiovascular health
- Reduces the risk of high blood pressure
- Adults (19-50): 1,000 mg/day
- Adults (51 +): 1,200 mg/day
If you can't get all of your recommended daily amount from whole foods there are calcium supplements available. Our favorite calcium supplement is Isotonix® Calcium Plus which is blended with Vitamin D3 & Magnesium to increase the absorption of Calcium and provide the body with commonly under-consumed nutrients. You know how much we love the isotonic delivery too! "Isotonic" simply means the same pressure as other fluids in the body. This translates to it being absorbed by the body much better than pills or capsules. Plus, you get 90 servings for ONLY $19.50 and it tastes great!
The Daily Essentials Kit also comes with a 90 serving supply of Calcium along with Multivitamin, B-Complex, & OPC-3 (that is less than $12 per product per month)!
Please note that if you are interested in ordering any of these products, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. By contacting us directly, we can offer you special DISCOUNTS and PROMOTIONS that are available to our readers. We can also answer any questions that you may have regarding these products and other supplements. If you purchase using the links provided it will ask "were you referred by a friend", please enter email@example.com.
Stay tuned for more Supplement Spotlights!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product(s) is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
** As always, check with your doctor or healthcare professional prior to taking on a supplement regimen or testing products to treat medical conditions. We are not health care professionals - this is for informational purposes only and does not override professional medical advice.