You probably already know by know that we aren’t super strict, we strongly believe that you should enjoy life and let loose sometimes. However, this is a LIFESTYLE for us though so we don’t let weekends or holidays get completely out of control either. We try to treat weekends just like a normal day. Use these tips to stay “on track” over the weekend.
6 Tips to Stay “On Track” Over the Weekend
- Don’t Skip MealsA BIG mistake people make is skipping meals. It seems to be an even bigger issue over the holidays and weekends. Whether it’s intentional (thinking that you will “save” calories) or if you just get busy and forget to eat, skipping meals will lead you to over-indulging in the long run. Stick to your normal eating schedule and don’t let yourself get too hungry. Pack your food or at least take protein bars or protein powder packets with you while you are out. Going to a party? Take something with you to share!
- Make Time for Food PrepTake a little time to prep food or buy foods that don’t take much prep time. We usually do a smaller food prep on Thursday or Friday that lasts us over the weekend. It’s very easy to just brown meat to have on hand with some vegetables or rice. Things like canned tuna and eggs are very easy for quick weekend meals as well.
RELATED: Weekend Food Prep
- SleepSounds easy and amazing, right?! Well, why do most of us overlook this very important aspect of living a healthy lifestyle then? Just like with not skipping meals, don’t let your sleep suffer over the weekend. Try to get 7.5-9 hours of quality sleep. Your body will thank you!
- Schedule “Me” TimeIt’s important to rest and relax on the weekend so that you feel refreshed. You don’t need an entire day to yourself, although that would be nice, even just 10 minutes will work wonders for you mentally and physically. Activities to consider include walking, reading, taking a bath, getting a message, or just enjoying your coffee or tea in silence.
- Stay ActiveInclude at least one active activity each weekend. If you don’t want to go to the gym on the weekend that’s fine! Take the weekend as your rest day(s) but still try to stay active while having fun. Things like hiking, biking, playing in sports leagues, etc. are ways to have fun and also get a workout in. Again, even just 15 minutes of activity is better than nothing.
RELATED: 5 Reasons Why You Need a Fitness Plan
- Don’t have an “all or nothing” attitude.You aren’t perfect. We aren’t perfect. No one is perfect. If you want to eat a hamburger, fries, and a milkshake and you do it – move on at your next meal. One “bad” meal isn’t going to hurt you. You must start having a better relationship with food or you are going to always be stuck in the cycle where you start your new diet each Monday.
Continuing to eat junk food all weekend because of one choice is like slashing all of your tires because you had one flat tire. Keep it simple! All you have to do is make healthy choices the majority of the time and splurge on things that are worth it, not just because they are placed in front of you. Easy swaps like grilled chicken instead of fried chicken, vegetables instead of fries, water instead of soft drinks really add up!