Skinny Muddy Buddies are a twist on the classic Muddy Buddies (also known as Puppy Chow) with the perfect amount of chocolate and nut butter, they have all the flavor with fewer calories.
We’ve probably all heard of (or even made our own) Muddy Buddies (also known as Puppy Chow). Well, we decided we wanted to put a spin on the very popular recipe and cut out some of the unnecessary fat and sugar (and therefore calories). We love Muddy Buddies but they are addictive and those handfuls (!!) add up quickly.
We gave Skinny Muddy Buddies a try and were blown away. They’re just as addictive and delicious!
My advice to you: don’t make this when you are alone and tempted to eat it all. 😉 Get it divided up and handed out to your friends, family, or neighbors right after you make it.
Not only is this easy to make as a gift but it’s also inexpensive. You will have the perfect gift for under $15 TOTAL!
We divided part of ours up (as seen below) in Ziploc containers as neighbor gifts. You could also put all of it into a large bowl and set it out at your next party.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Check our disclosure policy for more details.
TIPS TO “LIGHTEN UP” THE ORIGINAL MUDDY BUDDIES RECIPE:
- We used a combination of almond butter and peanut butter. You can use whatever kind of nut butter you prefer but always make sure to get the ones without added sugar. This will cut down dramatically on the amount of added sugar in the recipe and you will not be able to tell!
- We usually get our almond butter and peanut butter at Costco but they also have a few on Amazon without added sugar. Check out this almond butter and this peanut butter.
- Choose dark chocolate of at least 70%.
- We used Endangered Species 72% Natural Dark Chocolate
- Use a product like Stevia in the Raw or Splenda Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend. You won’t get the white color like you would with powdered sugar but you will get that perfect amount of sweetness on top – which is all that matters!
- 10 cups gluten-free Rice Chex Cereal
- 4 TBSP almond butter
- 4 TBSP peanut butter
- 1 bar of dark chocolate (we used Endangered Species 72% Natural Dark Chocolate – 3 oz)
- 2 TBSP real butter
- 2 TBSP coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp coconut sugar, if desired
- ½ cup Stevia in the Raw or Splenda Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend (for dusting)
- Add Rice Chex Cereal to a large mixing bowl
- Melt chocolate bar, coconut oil, and butter (we do this in the microwave in 30-second increments)
- Add nut butter to the melted chocolate mixture and microwave until easy to stir
- Add nut butter and chocolate mixture to large mixing bowl and stir to coat cereal
- Sprinkle Stevia in the Raw over entire mixture and stir to combine
- Allow cooling
- Place into Ziploc bag (or large airtight container) and into the refrigerator until ready to eat