Want something you can whip up in less than 45 minutes? This recipe is perfect for you! If you have done your homework and cooked some brown rice on your prep day, then this will only take you about 20 minutes to create! Get ready – it’s a decadent tasting meal!
Mets per serving (at 3 servings total):
- Calories – 550
- Protein – 18g
- Fat – 21g
- Carbs – 48g
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/4 cups water (may vary depending on the type of brown rice you use)
- 1 tsp + 1 pinch sea salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1 cup tarragon, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup green onions
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb large wild scallops
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Cook brown rice as you normally would including a 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to bring the water temperature up ever so slightly. Cook rice to a fluffy consistency, being careful not to overcook – prepare pesto and scallops while rice is cooking.
- Using a food processor, add garlic, basil, tarragon, green onions, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Pulse until chopped. While food processor is running, stream in olive oil. Stop food processor and scrape down sides – pulse a few more times to combine.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a stainless steel or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove any excess moisture in the scallops by blotting with a paper towel. Season one side with salt and pepper and place in a single layer in skillet. Cook 4-6 minutes on each side (your scallops may take more or less time depending on thickness) until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In a mixing or serving bowl, combine brown rice, pesto and tomatoes until combined. Divide evenly among plates and place scallops on top.
adapted from Tosca Reno’s Sauteed Scallops with Four-Herb Pesto and Quinoa