It’s no secret that leg day is my favorite. It’s also no secret that step-ups are my favorite exercise. Yes, those are both true statements!
There are many different ways that you can perform a step-up. I wanted to share a few here with you today. Step-ups are incorporated into all of our workout plans and I even created a 30-day step-up challenge! Try incorporating these into your next leg day routine!
Leg Exercise – Step-Up Variations
How to perform step-ups:
- Stand in front of a bench holding weights by your side (or use an EZ bar across your shoulders)
- Simply step up onto the bench with one leg and step back down again
- You can either alternate legs or finish all listed repetitions on one leg before moving on
- Step-Up with Knee Lift (center picture) – Perform a regular step-up and then lift your opposite leg as seen in the middle picture
- Step-Up with Rear Leg Extension (right picture) – Perform a regular step-up and then lift the opposite leg behind you, really squeezing your glute muscles
- Lateral Step-Ups (not pictured) – Stand to the side of a bench or platform and step up laterally onto the platform with the leg that is closest to the platform
- If you are a beginner you can make this exercise easier by not using any weight and stepping onto a low platform.
- If you would like to make this exercise harder, you can do these weighted on a high platform.