Frustrated when trying to make an omelet? Use this step-by-step guide on How to Make the Perfect Omelet and master eggs! Mixing and preparing eggs into a light and fluffy omelet that is both delicious and healthy.
How to Make the Perfect Omelet
I struggled with omelets for a long time. I would try to make an omelet and it would just turn into scrambled eggs because I would get so frustrated. I finally started experimenting and reading about cooking them (yes, I'm a dork!). I put together some of the information I found and so far it has been working! One of the most important things I've discovered is that you need to use a small pan.
The best pan for making the perfect omelet
Hands down, I cannot say enough about investing in an omelet pan. Yes, you can make an omelet in any skillet, but if you want that perfectly shaped omelet, then this is the pan you need.
Not only is it typically made to be non-stick, but it is just the right size for a 2 or 3 egg omelet. It also makes creating multiple omelets for your family easier. You can create unique flavors and nobody has to worry about having the wrong veggies in their omelet.
Variations on a classic omelet recipe
To most, knowing how to make an omelet includes adding in cheese, meat, and some vegetable. There are tons of classic omelets like a ham and cheese, Denver omelet, loaded omelet, or meat lovers omelet. Below are some great flavor combinations you can experiment with when learning how to make your own omelet.
- Mushrooms and onions with swiss cheese
- Diced ham with sharp cheddar
- Spinach and tomato with feta cheese
- Bell pepper and sausage with mozzarella
- A spoon of fresh salsa with a Mexican blend of cheeses
Should I add milk or cream to my eggs?
This is a great debate among those making omelets. So many recommend adding a bit of milk or cream to the egg mixture when scrambling to make them fluffier. In omelets, however, it is best to make the egg mixture just the eggs themselves.
Since I use egg whites and whole eggs, I like to mix them together well to create an even flavor profile.
This was originally published on September 13, 2015, and updated September 5, 2019.
How to Make the Perfect Omelet
- Coconut Oil (to coat the pan to prevent sticking)
- Eggs (I normally use 1-2 whole eggs and 2-3 egg whites)
- Fillings of your choice! Some options: spinach, cheese, ham, tomatoes, peppers, onion
- Coat a small pan with coconut oil to prevent sticking
- Heat pan on medium heat (6-8) and once warm add eggs
- Once the eggs start to bubble add your choice of toppings
- Once it appears that you can carefully fold the omelet do so with care (I use a fork and spatula)
- Cook on one side for a few seconds and then flip to finish cooking
If you enjoy eggs you'll love these tips
In case you haven't noticed, I'm a huge lover of eggs - I finally mastered boiled eggs (by baking them or using an Instant Pot) and now I'm a pretty good omelet maker too if I do say so myself. 😉 Speaking of eggs, have you tried our scrambled eggs (with our secret ingredient). OBSESSED.
P.S. Is it Omelet or Omelette?27