Have you tried our Salsa Chicken? This recipe is just as easy but a few ingredients are changed/added to give it an Italian flair, which is why I named it after one of my favorite movie characters, Rocky Balboa (aka THE ITALIAN STALLION!). You can add some extra pasta sauce, sliced veggies, and/or quinoa pasta noodles to have a deliciously healthy spaghetti dinner ready in minutes!
- 3 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (we use Vidalia/Sweet)
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Mix all ingredients (not including the chicken breasts) together in a blender/food processor (must hold at least 5 cups – we use a Vitamix) and blend for about 30 seconds until ingredients are mixed well.
- Place blended pasta sauce in a saucepan and simmer on low/medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until sauce takes on a thicker consistency and a dark shade of red.
- Mix chicken breasts and pasta sauce in the crockpot and cook on low heat for at least 7 hours.
- After 7 hours, you will notice the sauce looks very runny, this is normal. Remove crock pot from the heating base, shred chicken with a wooden spoon or spatula and as it cools, the shredded chicken will absorb the juices from the pasta sauce.
- You can simplify this recipe by adding 3-4 Tbsp of Italian seasoning rather most of the individual spices listed above.
- We like to make our own pasta sauce at home so that we can avoid the added sugars and other unwanted ingredients. You can use the store-bought pasta sauce but try to avoid the brands with a lot of added sugar, preservatives, etc. Muir Glen is usually a pretty good choice if your store carries it.