- 1 whole organic chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 oranges (recommended) or lemons
- 6-8 sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme
- Clean & simple roasted chicken seasoning mix (use our do-it-yourself recipe!)
Your choice of vegetables (below are some options):
- 1 onion
- 6 carrots
- 4-6 parsnips
- 4-6 red potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut onion, carrots, parsnips and potatoes into 1.5" - 2" chunks and place in bottom of roasting pan. Mix the vegetables with about 1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil and toss with seasoning and additional salt and black pepper. Place sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme on top of the vegetables.
- Cut oranges (or lemons) into quarters and set aside until step 7
- Remove chicken giblets and rinse chicken carefully while removing excess fat and pin feathers
- Place chicken on oven roasting rack over vegetables and lightly brush the outside of the chicken with the olive oil. Note - It is unnecessary to liberally coat the chicken in oil as the water from rinsing will help the seasoning rub bind to the skin.
- Liberally spread the seasoning on the inside and outside of the chicken
- Stuff the oranges (or lemons) into chicken cavity
- Place entire roasting pan in the oven and bake for 75-90 minutes or until internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165-degrees Fahrenheit
- When chicken is complete, cover entire pan with aluminum foil for 15-20 minutes
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to separate platter. Carve (or pull) chicken and enjoy!
Below are the nutrition facts that we calculated (for the chicken only). You will need to calculate your specific nutrition information for the vegetables that you use.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American