We made this chicken for Thanksgiving and the entire family loved it! We don’t actually like “traditional” Thanksgiving foods, so we served this with sweet-sweet potato cubes, balsamic garlic asparagus, and our fall cauliflower quinoa salad with raisins. Don’t let the ingredients or steps fool you, it was actually pretty easy! Everything was simple and delicious!
This would be perfect for your next party or even just for your weekly food prep! We only had a little bit of leftover chicken but it was still fantastic the next day.
We’ve made this recipe numerous times since we published it in 2015 so we thought it was time for an update! We use different vegetables each time so we’ve included a list of the ones that we recommend but use your imagination! The vegetables make this recipe delicious! We’ve made this with just one chicken (as you see in the video) and two chickens (as pictured). The seasoning we have listed is for more than one chicken. The other ingredients we have listed will be the perfect amount for one chicken.
Watch How to Make Our Clean & Simple Roasted Chicken (1 Min):
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 oranges (recommended) or lemons
- 6–8 sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme
- Clean & simple roasted chicken seasoning mix (use our do-it-yourself recipe!)
Your choice of vegetables (below are some options):
- 1 onion
- 6 carrots
- 4–6 parsnips
- 4–6 red potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut onion, carrots, parsnips and potatoes into 1.5″ – 2″ chunks and place in bottom of roasting pan. Mix the vegetables with about 1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil and toss with seasoning and additional salt and black pepper. Place sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme on top of the vegetables.
- Cut oranges (or lemons) into quarters and set aside until step #7.
- Remove chicken giblets and rinse chicken carefully while removing excess fat and pin feathers.
- Place chicken on oven roasting rack over vegetables and lightly brush the outside of the chicken with the olive oil. Note – It is unnecessary to liberally coat the chicken in oil as the water from rinsing will help the seasoning rub bind to the skin.
- Liberally spread the seasoning on the inside and outside of the chicken.
- Stuff the oranges (or lemons) into chicken cavity.
- Place entire roasting pan in the oven and bake for 75-90 minutes or until internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165-degrees Fahrenheit.
- When chicken is complete, cover entire pan with aluminum foil for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to separate platter. Carve (or pull) chicken and enjoy!
Below are the nutrition facts that we calculated (for the chicken only). You will need to calculate your specific nutrition information for the vegetables that you use.