Sick of prepackaged food on the trail? Make your own hiking snacks with these nutritious and easy-to-make healthy recipes!
Proper nutrition is important while hiking. There's nothing worse than not eating enough food before or during your hike and therefore not having enough fuel to make it to the top. It's also not a great idea to eat things that are hard on the stomach as that will make or an uncomfortable hike for sure!
While you will see or read about some hikers scarfing down candy bars, there's actually a better approach. These easy-to-make hiking snacks will fuel your body for the hike without the sugar crash!
Most of our healthy hiking snack recipes are protein/energy bites, protein bars, and granola but we've also shared ideas on what exactly to eat on your hike, depending on the distance! Our post on What to Eat While Hiking will walk you through what to eat before, during, and after your hike.
If you are hiking in warm weather, keep in mind that some of these recipes include dark chocolate so keep them in a small cooler until you are ready to hike or freeze them before your hike!
EASY SNACKS TO MAKE FOR YOUR NEXT HIKE
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Energy Bites
- Four Ingredient Energy Bites
- No Bake Chocolate Chunk Almond Butter Protein Bites
- No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Protein Bites
- No Bake Energy Balls
- Homemade Clean Eating Granola Bars
- Trail Mix Protein Bars
- Four Ingredient Protein Bars
- Gluten-Free Power Granola
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Vanilla Granola
- Apricot Flax Fall Granola
Check out more of our protein bar recipes here!
LOOKING FOR MORE HIKING INSPIRATION? KEEP EXPLORING:
- How to Get in Shape for Hiking
- What to Eat While Hiking
- What to Wear Hiking in Warm Weather
- What to Wear Hiking in Cold Weather
- Hiking Etiquette 101
- Top 5 Tips for Visting National Parks
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Never Hike
- Our Trip Recaps
- 6 Tips for Outdoor Enthusiasts to Help Keep Invasive Pests from Spreading