This Crockpot Paleo Carnitas recipe is versatile, healthy, and it is made in the crockpot!
Autoimmune-Protocol Version (AIP)
- 3 lbs pork shoulder or butt
- 1 TBSP orange zest
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice from 1 large orange
- Juice from 2-3 limes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Add these ingredients as well if you're not following a strict AIP diet:
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Fresh cilantro
- Red onion, diced
- Lightly grease the crockpot with coconut oil or spray.
- Zest 1 TBSP of the orange peel and squeeze the juice from the entire orange into the crockpot. Zest 1 whole lime then squeeze the juice from 2-3 limes into the crockpot.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onion.
- Season both sides of the pork with salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and coriander. Place pork in the crockpot on low heat for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove the pork from the crockpot and place it in a large dish. Shred the meat apart with a fork (it should fall apart easily) or Bear Claws Meat Shredders. There will be juices, onions, and fat left in the crockpot after you take the pork out. Strain it and add the liquid to the shredded pork.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, red onion, and/or diced avocado.
If you enjoy your pork on top of your sweet potato, use this guide to make a Restaurant-Style Baked Potato.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican