It seems like we get questions from our readers every day asking how to create their own workout plan. Here are some simple rules and tips for creating a workout plan that will help you get closer to your goals.
HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN WORKOUT PLAN
Think about your goals
- Are you interested in adding muscle?
- Consider a plan with increased weight, less cardio and more rest between muscle groups.
- Want to lean out?
- Continue lifting weights, increase reps and increase cardiovascular exercise.
Determine how/where you will workout
- Do you have access to a gym? If so, what equipment is available?
- Will you workout outside? What routes can you use for cardio? Is there a park with pull up bars, benches, and stairs?
- Can you workout at home? What equipment do you have/need? Will you use any DVDs?
Follow these simple guidelines:
- Work all muscle groups at least once per week
- Think one group per day or group them together (for example – chest/back, legs, bis/tris OR chest/tris, back/bis, upper legs, calves/abs)
- Do NOT work the same muscle group the following day
- If you worked legs one day, do not follow it with an additional leg workout – your muscles need rest!
- Incorporate more challenging cardio on non-leg days
- Use those days to your advantage and save your energy for lifting heavy on legs.
- Alter exercises every 4 weeks
- Muscles have memory. They also get adapt well to the “work” that you are subjecting them to – keep them guessing by changing up your exercises and routine every 4 weeks.
Remember – it takes time to produce results. Don’t be afraid to try new things and determine what works best for you. You and your body are unique – what works for one of your friends may not work for you.
And, if you aren’t into the time-consuming task of creating your own workout plan…never fear! We have plenty for you to choose from!
Let us be your personal trainers with our detailed 4, 6, and 12-week Workout plans! We guide your workout each day, telling you exactly what to do and what intensity to work at. We have everything you need! Find out more!1
Leave a Reply