These “kinda” clean Dark Chocolate Espresso Granola Bars are absolutely phenomenal! I was a little concerned during the preparation of the granola bars as I quite unfamiliar with making granola or granola bars, but am quite pleased with the results. The recipe is easy to follow and I had most of the ingredients in my pantry (or cupboard for you Southern folk!).Print
Dark Chocolate Espresso Granola Bars
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 bars 1x
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (choose a clean protein powder)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 oz dark chocolate-covered espresso beans (70% or higher cocoa content)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (no HFCS) or almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use a wooden spoon to combine.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 9″ X 9″ baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden around edges.
- Let cool and slice into 8 bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Gluten Free Version: Use Gluten-Free Rolled Oats and Gluten-Free Flour as alternatives.
- Adapted from: Oxygen Magazine, “Cocoa Before Cardio – Reader of the Month Recipe”, October 2011
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Leave a Reply