Chocolate Almond Biscotti – The taste is divine and not too chocolatey.Print
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped, divided (can also use chopped, unsalted almonds in bags from the grocery store)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee crystals
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Sucanat or rapadura sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp real, high quality, vanilla extract (no HFCS)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional)
- Put 1/4 cup of the almonds, both flours, cocoa powder, coffee crystals, baking soda and salt in a food processor. Process for a few minutes until the almonds are finely ground. Put mixture in large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine Sucanat, egg, egg white, both extracts and lemon zest in a blender and process until mixture is foamy – three to four minutes.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture. Add remaining coarsely chopped almonds. Mix well.
- Divide dough in two. Shape each half into a log and place logs on a baking sheet. (He & She Tip: Make logs wide and flatter – they will cook more evenly.)
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F/ 148 degrees C.
- Cut each log into ten 1/2 inch pieces. You may choose to cut diagonally or straight.
- Return the biscotti slices to the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the cookies are dry and lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and place on wire rack to cool. Do not seal in an airtight container until biscotti are cool and dry.
The Eat Clean Diet Book Recharged!, Tosca Reno, 2009
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American