I have made this recipe SO many times and Jim and I gobble all of it up before the end of the week. It’s a little time consuming to make, but prepping your meat and veggies ahead of time will cut down on the time necessary to make this recipe. It’s totally worth it!
Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Pulled Pork Poblano
as published in The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook 2, page 151
1 tsp safflower oil
3 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch chunks (we use pork tenderloin)
1 tsp sea salt, divided
1 tsp black pepper, divided
1 lb tomatillos, husked and quartered
2 poblano peppers, seeded, halved and sliced
2 serrano peppers, halved and sliced
1/2 large or 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
5 cloves garlic, smashed (we mince ours after smashing as well)
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
3-4 cups low sodium, organic chicken broth (you want enough to cover ingredients completely)
Juice of 1 lime
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F
2. Heat safflower oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed ovenproof pot over high heat. Add pork in a single layer, being careful not to overcrowd. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, and brown on all sides, 6-8 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Pour out fat and discard.
3. Return pot to burner and add tomatillos, peppers, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned, 5-7 minutes. Stir in cumin, coriander and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 pepper. Return pork to pot along with any accumulated juices and pour in chicken broth until ingredients are almost covered. Bring liquid to a boil, cover pot and transfer to oven to slowly cook for 2 to 2.5 hours, until pork is tender enough to easily pull apart.
4. Remove pot from oven. Using a shallow ladle or large spoon, skim off any fat that has floated to top and discard. Using a paper towel to absorb excess fat, lay it over surface of liquid. Discard paper towel.
5. Pull pork out of sauce and shred using forks. Using a hand-held immersion blender, blend sauce until smooth. Return sauce in pot to stove over medium-high heat. Bring to a rapid simmer and reduce sauce by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Taste and make any final adjustments with salt and pepper.
Serving Size 4 x 1 cup ea
- Calories: 289
- Protein: 35g
- Carbs: 5g
- Fats: 13g
Enjoy our recipes? Get help with your grocery shopping here.