This Taco Soup recipe is bursting with flavor without packaged ingredients. It is a healthy, easy to make meal that the whole family will love. This is gluten-free, dairy free, and weight watchers friendly.
This Taco Soup recipe is very versatile and can easily be tweaked to fit your taste buds and schedule. For example, you can use whatever kind of beans you prefer, whatever meat you like best (we’ve used grass-fed bison, grass-fed beef, and ground chicken!), and you can use the cooking method that best fits your schedule.
This recipe is one that I remember my mom making since I was in high school. She would cook up a big batch and I’ve loved it ever since. I made a few changes to eliminate packaged seasoning but other than that it’s the same ol’ taco soup I grew up with.
This soup is perfect plain but you can also sprinkle a little cheese on top and add cilantro.
This was originally published on May 13, 2013, and updated January 20, 2019.
TACO SOUP COOKING & STORAGE TIPS:
- We make our own taco and ranch seasoning to eliminate packaged seasoning. Our seasoning mixes are quite popular – try them in this recipe!
- If you are using grass-fed beef or grass-fed bison, you can brown the meat and onions and drain the excess fat before adding the additional ingredients
- This can be cooked in the crockpot or on the stovetop
- If you want yours to be more soup-like, add water (start with 1/4-1/2 cup). If you want yours thicker (more like chili), leave out the extra liquid
- Cooked meat usually lasts for 3-4 days in the refrigerator, if you will not consume it in that time period freeze the remaining for up to 4 months.
This recipe is great to incorporate into food prep because it tastes great leftover! Here’s our ultimate step-by-step guide to meal prep.Print
This Taco Soup is bursting with flavor without packaged ingredients. It is a healthy, easy to make meal that the whole family will love and is gluten-free, dairy free, and weight watchers friendly.
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey or grass-fed beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pkg ranch dressing mix (make your own)
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix (make your own)
- 1 can (16 oz) pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz) whole kernel corn (or organic frozen corn)
- 1 can (8 oz) organic diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 can (8 oz) organic diced tomatoes
- Brown meat & onions, drain if desired (you do not have to fully cook since it will still cook when the remaining ingredients are added)
- Mix ranch & taco seasonings into the meat
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the mixture (you may also need to add a little bit of water)
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes to one hour (you can simmer in the crockpot or on the stovetop)
- We usually double this recipe so we have leftovers for lunch during the week
- Your macros will vary depending on the type of meat you use
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican