Make these Italian Seasoned Homemade Turkey Burgers as a delicious flavorful option for burger night! Lean ground turkey is bursting with flavor and an ideal option to toss on the grill this summer. Grab the ingredients for this yummy burger recipe and wow your family with yummy flavors in a healthier package.
Italian Seasoned Homemade Turkey Burgers
I just love a great hamburger, but I often skip the ground beef. This recipe uses ground turkey, but definitely isn’t lacking in flavor. The key to making ground turkey fabulous is to add tons of spices to boost the flavor!
Key to Making Great Turkey Burgers
Since ground turkey is naturally leaner than beef, the biggest struggle I hear is that they are too dry once cooked. There are some ways to make this easier to manage. It all depends upon what your individual dietary needs are in what you choose to make your burgers better.
- Add a pad of butter inside the burger to melt and add flavor as it cooks
- For this burger, mix in 1/4 cup marinara sauce into the meat before forming patties
- Spread a sauce on the bun. Think beyond mayonnaise and mustard. For this burger, a bit of seasoned butter or olive oil is a great choice, as is a marinara sauce.
- Top with cheese. For this recipe, a slice of mozzarella is ideal.
- Make sure to top with plenty of vegetables. Spinach, basil, sliced tomato, mushrooms, and onions are ideal for this particular flavor profile.
How to Serve Homemade Turkey Burgers
Burgers typically come on a nice toasted bun. That’s a great way to eat this, but I love going a bit different with my burgers. A nice toasted whole wheat bun is great but even better is something like a sprouted grain bread (Ezekiel buns or Ezekiel English muffins). The texture, flavor and nutritious grains make it a perfect addition to the healthier meal. You can also use these burgers in different meals other than just a burger or sandwich.
- Crumble over a salad and top with Italian dressing
- Put inside a wrap (or lettuce wrap) with spinach, tomato, and shredded mozzarella
- Crumble on top of pasta with marinara sauce in place of meatballs
Clean Eating Italian Recipes for your Meal Plan
If you loved this turkey burger recipe, then I know you will love the rest of our clean eating recipes. Italian flavors are always a hit in our house and the recipes below are some of my personal favorites.
- Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- Gluten-Free Chicken Parmesan
- Roasted Italian Herb Chicken
- Italian Chicken Skillet
Add these super easy and very versatile turkey burgers to your weekly food prep line up!
This was originally published on September 23, 2013, and updated May 8, 2019.Print
Italian Turkey Burgers
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Make these Italian Seasoned Homemade Turkey Burgers as a delicious flavorful option for burger night! Lean ground turkey is bursting with flavor and an ideal option to toss on the grill this summer.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 heaping TBSP Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Mix together all ingredients in a large mixing bowl by hand
- Form into 4 equal size patties (a hamburger patty maker makes this easy!)
- In a skillet or grill, cook burgers thoroughly
4 SmartPoints per burger patty on WW FreeStyle Plan
Gluten Free patty (when served alone or on gluten free bun)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Italian
Whitney Carlson says
COMMENT FROM PREVIOUS WEBSITE (ADMIN):
My boyfriend and I just ate this for the first time. It was really good. We replaced the hamburger buns with lettuce and then had asparagus as our side. We will definitely be adding this to our monthly dinner list.