This Healthy French Toast is a great way to start your day with a protein-packed delicious meal. Bread, eggs, berries, and spices create a delicious breakfast, snack, or even dessert!
Healthy French Toast
Yes, you read that right...Healthy Protein French Toast! I based this off of how my dad used to make us French toast when we were little. We would have it as an occasional treat on the weekends. 🙂 This recipe really reminded me of him since he just left a few weeks ago to finish hiking the Appalachian Trail!
What do I need for Protein-Packed French Toast?
To make this Healthy French Toast, you need basic ingredients you likely already have in your pantry and refrigerator. That's one of my favorite things about this recipe. It is just that easy! While I prefer to use Ezekial bread, you can use your own preferred bread. It is even great with gluten-free bread if desired or needed.
- Toppings such as fruit, honey, syrup, or nut butter
Can I Freeze French Toast?
One of the best parts of this recipe is just how easy it is to make in advance for meal prep. You can easily freeze this Healthy French Toast in batches to grab and reheat in a hurry.
If you are like most people, a fast meal is often the best. Especially on those mornings when just waking up and getting out the door takes all of your energy. When you meal prep in advance, you are more likely to stick with a healthy eating lifestyle.
To freeze this recipe, you simply need to cook each piece and allow them to cool completely before bagging them in airtight freezer storage bags. Always make sure to label freezer meals with both the recipe name and the date it was made.
Meal Prep Tips:
- 5 Tips to Make Meal Prep Easier
- Meal Prep Solution for Those Short on Time
- How to Meal Prep for the Week
Variations of French Toast
While this is my go-to version, you can definitely mix things up a bit when making French toast. A few dashes of nutmeg and ginger along with the cinnamon will give you a more spice mix flavor profile. You can even add a splash of vanilla extract or even almond extract to the egg mixture for extra flavor.
Other variations to try:
- Mix flavored protein powder in with eggs
- Use different flavored sweet bread like my Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Mix and match toppings for different flavor profiles
More Meal Prep Breakfast Ideas
Meal prep for breakfast definitely makes staying on track with a clean eating lifestyle easier to manage. This Healthy French Toast is one of my favorites, especially as it has childhood memories attached. More delicious options are Healthy Banana Pancakes, Clean Eating Overnight Oats, Healthy Apple Crisp Oatmeal Bake, Pecan Pie Oatmeal, or my favorite tips for How to Make Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot.Print
Healthy French Toast is a protein packed version of your favorite bread, egg, and cinnamon flavored breakfast treat.
- 2 slices Food for Life Ezekiel Bread (this can usually be found in the frozen aisle)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Toppings of your choice (berries, honey, maple syrup, almond butter, etc)
- Lightly coat griddle with coconut oil to prevent sticking
- Mix eggs and cinnamon together in a separate bowl (or long piece of Tupperware to make the dipping easier)
- Dip each piece of bread into the mixture, one at a time, flipping to ensure both sides are coated
- Add french toast to lightly heated griddle (medium-high heat) and cook on each side until warmed
- Remove from griddle and finish off with toppings of choice (I chose almond butter, of course!)
Macros listed do not include any toppings
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Griddle
- Cuisine: French