- 1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 large or 4 small zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 24 oz low-fat or 1% or 2% cottage cheese
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I just discovered Monte Bene sauce… NO SUGAR and all fresh ingredients, absolutely nothing I couldn’t pronounce!)
- Non-fat or low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine onion, ground turkey breast, sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a skillet over medium heat, cooking the turkey until it is no longer pink.
- Layer zucchini in the bottom of your lasagna pan (I would suggest a more substantial pan, such as ceramic) just as you would lasagna noodles, covering any gaps with additional slices of zucchini.
- Spread 12 oz of cottage cheese over the layer of zucchini.
- Add ground turkey mixture over cottage cheese, careful to spread turkey evenly.
- Layer approximately 1/3 of the spaghetti sauce over the cottage cheese and turkey mixture.
- Repeat steps 2-5.
- Place your last layer of zucchini over the second layer of cottage cheese, turkey mixture and cottage cheese.
- Top with tomato spaghetti sauce and add shredded cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Remove tinfoil and bake for an additional 5 minutes at 350 degrees to brown cheese.
- Let rest for approximately 10 minutes and Enjoy!
This lasagna will be a little runny because of the consistency of the tomato sauce, moisture in the cottage cheese and the amount of water that zucchini hold. I found that I just scooped out my lasagna and the excess liquid stayed in my pan.