- “Rice” – 1 head of organic cauliflower, medium size, chopped
- White wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 large organic leek
- 1 cup of crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup Sargento mild cheddar cheese (fine cut)
- ¾ cup for the recipe + ¼ to sprinkle on top
For Cream Sauce:
- 1 head of organic cauliflower, medium size, chopped
- 2 cups organic, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp (pinch) nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp (pinch) black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
Make cream sauce as listed in our previous post on Healthy Alfredo Sauce:
- Boil chicken broth. Add chopped cauliflower and spices. Cook 20 minutes until cauliflower is soft.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool (approximately 5-10 minutes).
- Blend mixture in blender (Be CAREFUL! Hot liquid expands). Add cottage cheese, water and olive oil and blend again.
- Return to pot to simmer on low for approximately 5 minutes.
While cream sauce is cooling:
- Chop second cauliflower into small florets. Place small amounts at a time into the food processor to finely chop (use the pulse feature) into “rice”
- Cut leeks into quarter-sized slivers and halve mushrooms
- Coat skillet with cooking oil spray (we used avocado oil) and sauté leeks and mushrooms with a drizzle of white wine vinegar (1/4 tsp). Add sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder, making sure to stir often to prevent burning
- If you haven’t already, place cream sauce back in sauce pan and simmer on low heat while sautéing vegetables
- Once sautéed (leeks are translucent), add cauliflower “rice” to skillet with small portion (up to ½ cup) of cream mixture and simmer for two minutes
- Gradually add the remaining creamy cauliflower sauce while stirring often
- After adding all of the cream sauce, cover and let simmer on low-medium heat for 6 minutes. Check often to prevent burning.
- Fold in ¾ cup of Sargento mild cheddar cheese (fine cut), simmer for two more minutes
- Serve with ¼ cup sprinkled cheese on top and add sea salt if desired
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian