What? You can eat pancakes that are clean? Yep! You got it! Not only did this month’s Oxygen Magazine have an AMAZING smoothie recipe, but it has a pancake recipe that is “to die for”! Jim and I have already had these twice and I just have to say, iHop has nothin’ on me with this recipe!
Oxygen Magazine, March 2012, “Breakfast is Served,” pg 84Print
- 3 small bananas
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 6 egg whites
- 1 c rolled oats (Substitute Gluten Free rolled oats)
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 2 tbsp protein powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (avoid HFCS)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (not Aunt Jemima y’all – the REAL stuff!)
- 1/2 c plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- In a shallow bowl, mash bananas until smooth. Add walnuts; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- In a large prep bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine the mashed bananas, walnuts and egg whites with wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix gently to combine.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat with a light coat of cooking oil (coconut). Pour about 1/4 c of batter for each pancake (yes, those are large pancakes!). Cook on one side until bubbles appear on top, then flip to cook the other side, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat until all batter has been used. Serve.
You will be cleaning bowls ’till the cows come home! Yes, it’s a little labor intensive, but I promise the reward is well worth it!