You are going to absolutely love this Banana Muffin Recipe! A perfect clean eating recipe that is ideal for that make-ahead breakfast you can grab on the go. This recipe uses overripe bananas, oat flour, rolled oats, applesauce, almond milk, and xylitol sweetener to create a truly delicious and clean breakfast you will love keeping on hand.
Clean Eating Banana Muffin Recipe
I had a lot of “dying” bananas on my hand and wanted to make use of them. I wasn’t feeling the Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Loaf so I decided that I would re-make our Blueberry Muffins into Banana Muffins! Oh my gosh, they were amazing!
If you tend to have bananas on hand or a few ripe ones in the freezer, then you will love this recipe. It’s a great option for a fast and easy breakfast, and of course, I love that I can make in larger batches and freeze them for future use!
How can I ripen a banana fast?
One of the biggest challenges to making a yummy banana muffin recipe is to have the desired banana ripeness. You probably know already that a green banana just won’t soften enough nor give the right flavor for this batter.
To ripen a banana fast, the most common method is to place the banana(s) along with an apple into a brown paper bag for 1-2 days. However, if you don’t have that much time, you can use this genius hack for baking them. Yes, just place the bananas on a baking sheet, and pop into your oven for 10-15 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend watching them closely if they are already mostly ripened.
If you need even faster methods, then try wrapping them in a paper towel and zapping in the microwave in 30-second increments.
Can I freeze this banana oat muffin?
Muffins are a wonderful item to make in large batches and freeze. This banana muffin recipe is no different. If you plan to make a double or triple batch to freeze for future meals, just make sure to allow them to cool completely before bagging for the freezer. Moisture from being warm will create condensation in the bag that can lead to freezer burn much faster.
Cool the muffins, then place in a large plastic freezer bag that has been labeled with the recipe name, the date it was prepared, and reheating directions if desired. These are easy to pop out of the freezer individually and thaw in the microwave, or to place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
How long does a banana oatmeal muffin last?
This recipe for banana oat muffins lasts up to 3 days left out on the counter in an airtight container. If stored in the refrigerator, it is good for up to 1 week. When stored in the freezer, they should be used within 3 months of the date they were baked.
Variations on the clean banana muffin recipe
If you want a bit more variety to your banana muffin recipe, you can easily add a few different ingredients to boost the flavor profile and add variety.
- Mix in blueberries or diced strawberries
- Add chopped walnuts or pecans
- Peanut butter added to the mix is an excellent choice
- Add dark chocolate chips (we love the Enjoy Life brand which is dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and vegan)
More Delicious Muffin Recipes
Muffins are always going to be one of my favorite easy recipes to throw together. I have made many variations over the years, and all of them are regularly served for breakfast. Below are some of my favorites that you should give a try!
- Cranberry Banana Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread (easy to make into muffins)
- Blueberry Crumb Cake Muffins
- Pumpkin Cranberry Muffin Recipe
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
This was originally published on November 10, 2013, and updated September 3, 2019.Print
This Banana Muffin Recipe is the ideal clean eating make ahead meal! Using bananas, applesauce, oats, and almond milk it is healthy and delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup Xylitol (keep this ingredient away from animals as it may be toxic)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (avoid HFCS)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2–3 large bananas)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (line your muffin tin with liners for easy cleanup)
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Creating a well at the bottom of the bowl, begin adding and mixing in wet ingredients until combined
- Stir mashed bananas into the batter
- Fill each muffin tin and bake for 22-24 minutes until golden brown
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin
Keep xylitol away from your pets as it is toxic.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American