This mashed sweet potato casserole is a family favorite and definitely a lasting clean eating non-processed alternative to those unhealthy (but yummy, I know!) yams we eat at Thanksgiving and Christmas chock full of maple syrup, sugar, and marshmallows. This recipe is a great substitution for those calorie and sugar-rich concoctions. Take it over to the family meal… it’s sure to please!
- Calories – 153
- Protein – 3g
- Fat – 1g
- Carbs – 35g
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash and wrap whole sweet potatoes (unpeeled) in individual foil pockets.
- Once the oven is heated, place sweet potatoes on wire oven rack or place on baking sheet and then place in oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove sweet potatoes and baking sheet (if used) from the oven. Allow potatoes to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- Unwrap foil pockets and peel the skin off of potatoes (this is optional if you prefer mashed potatoes with the skin – personally, I have not tried the recipe with the skin on.) PLEASE NOTE: Be especially careful due to the temperature of the potatoes and skins – you can get burned if not careful! Place peeled sweet potatoes in a large bowl or in a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add milk, agave nectar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to bowl.
- Mix using an electric mixer for approximately 3-5 minutes until all ingredients are combined and potatoes are fluffy. Add pecans if desired.
- Using a shallow ceramic dish, transfer sweet potato mixture and place in oven to bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Garnish with additional pecans if desired.
Sweet potatoes taste great the next day! Just don’t forget to refrigerate them!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American