Use this list of healthy and easy lunch and snack ideas for back to school!
HEALTHY LUNCH IDEAS FOR BACK TO SCHOOL
We are often asked about quick and clean snacks for school lunches. We have compiled our favorites for you based off of our own recommendations and speaking to other parents.
Our suggestion would be to prepare their lunches and snacks ahead of time just like you should be doing yours! It is much easier if you have a meal prep day so that everything is ready to go once the work/school week starts. Also, check out our Clean Eating Breakfast Ideas for Back to School.
It might be more difficult to get your children to eat healthy the older they are but it is possible. We know this because we get countless emails and messages from people who have changed the eating habits of their ENTIRE family!
LUNCHBOX IDEAS FOR BACK TO SCHOOL
For the main food option, ditch your typical deli meat sandwich and side of potato chips and pack your children a healthy, nutritious lunch for school! Have your child take chicken (that you have already prepared during your food prep: salsa chicken, Italian chicken, and Greek chicken are all good cold) or make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but use real ingredients. Try toasting Ezekiel bread (found in the freezer section of most grocery stores) and adding natural peanut butter and real jelly (watch the portion sizes).
SNACK IDEAS FOR BACK TO SCHOOL
Here are a few examples of snacks or sides that can easily be packed into a lunchbox:
- Vegetables (celery, carrots, broccoli) with natural peanut butter (the ingredients should be peanuts and sea salt) or ranch dip (made with our Ranch Seasoning Mix & Greek yogurt)
- Plain greek yogurt with FRESH fruit – avoid the Greek yogurt that already has fruit
- Plain greek yogurt with pure vanilla extract & walnuts
- Fresh Fruit – avoid fruit cups
- Dried Fruit – no sugar added (this can be very hard to find…try Amazon)
- Baked Cheese Crackers – as a replacement for goldfish or cheez-its
DESSERT IDEAS FOR BACK TO SCHOOL
Does your child insist on having dessert with lunch? Try fresh fruit or step it up using these recipes:
Does your child need a snack in between classes or after school? Try these out:2