As I was walking around the grocery, I saw a fresh “bake at home” pizza sitting in the display. I immediately started wishing I could take it home and pop it into my oven. I made a better choice though, I decided to make my own version – clean, gluten-free and considered paleo-friendly if you are into that.
This is definitely picky eater approved! Jim LOVED it and he was REALLY skeptical when I told him what I was making. He had already told me what he was going to eat if he didn’t like it!Print
adapted from The Lucky Penny Blog
- 1 small-medium head of cauliflower or 3 cups of cauliflower florets, stems removed.
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil (additionally crushed between your fingers)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (additionally crushed between your fingers)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup organic, shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup organic, shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Wash and dry your cauliflower. Cut the cauliflower into florets (the top part) and remove the majority of the stem.
- Pulse in a food processor for approximately 30 seconds until you create something resembling cauliflower snow. This will serve as your “flour” for the recipe. It should yield from 2-3 cups of “snow.”
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. If you are using a pizza stone, place the stone in the oven so that it can heat to temperature before you put your crust on it.
- Once your cauliflower has cooled, place it in a tea towel or cheesecloth and wring it out to remove excess water. Watch out – there will be a lot of water! You will want to do this over the sink!
- In a bowl, combine cauliflower, spices, and cheese. Add egg and combine to a “dough ball” using your hands.
- Place dough onto a piece of parchment paper sprayed with olive oil. Begin forming the dough into a round pizza shape. Dough should be approximately 1/2 inch thick with no thin spots or overly thick spots.
- Take parchment paper and dough and move to pizza stone or pizza pan. Bake in oven for approximately 8-10 minutes until cauliflower is a light golden brown.
- Remove pan and crust from oven and add any toppings you would like to put on it – sauce, cheese, meat, veggies, etc.
- Once you have put your toppings on your pizza, bake it in the oven for about 5-7 more minutes until cheese begins to bubble.
- Let pizza sit for 3-4 minutes to cool. Cut with pizza wheel and enjoy!