It's been a while since we posted a make-your-own protein bar recipe, but rest assured, we have been saving a good one for the right time. And that time is now! Ready, go! Here is our latest concoction - a little sweet and maybe a little more treat (the way it tastes, not the mets!), this will satisfy your sweet tooth AND repair those muscles. Think "Hello" beautiful arms and "Bye Bye" body fat! These are similar consistency (and taste) to Lara Bars.
Eat Clean Trail Mix Protein Bars
- 1/3 c raw almonds (not roasted or salted)
- 1/3 c dried, pitted dates
- 1/3 c dried cranberries
- 1/3 c raw sunflower seeds (not roasted or salted)
- 1/4 c raw pumpkin seeds (not roasted or salted)
- 3 TBSP dark chocolate, 70% cocoa or greater
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2/3 c coconut or almond milk
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients into a food processor and pulse/chop until most pieces are broken up and sliced.
- Add protein powder, coconut or almond milk, honey and egg to the food processor and pulse several times to combine.
- Line an 8"x8" baking dish with parchment paper and spread mixture evenly onto the dish.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Allow bars to cool in your refrigerator for 45 minutes to 1 hour to harden and "set."
A few things to note:
- Step 1 is VERY loud! You may want to think twice about doing this after just putting the baby down - personal experience!
- Bars do not have preservatives and must be refrigerated to last more than a few hours. Bars will stay in refrigeration for approximately 2 days. (Make a half batch if it's just you!)
- These are higher in fat than our other bars due to the fact they are made primarily with nuts. These should count toward your healthy fats for your day.
Recipe makes 12 bars.
Metrics per bar:
- Calories: 193
- Protein: 7g
- Carbs: 20g
- Fat: 11g