Have you ever gone out with your girlfriends and they say, "Oh, I'm getting salad! I'm on a diet."? Well, not so fast! Don't let what could be a healthy salad fool you!
We've tried to help you out with 5 foods that you may want to take a closer look at next time to eat out.
This is a guest post by Tiffany.
Clean Eat Education: 5 Foods that May Fool You
1. Oatmeal. We love oatmeal - right? It's a staple in our diet and hopefully is in yours as well. However, when we go out and eat oatmeal you may not be getting exactly what you think. I recently ordered a bowl of oatmeal at a restaurant only to have an epiphany as it was coming to our table that it may be made with milk (something that I can't have since my breastfeeding son is allergic to milk). After apologizing to the waitress and having to send it back to the kitchen, I found out that it was actually made with half and half - OMG! Calorie city!
2. Granola. It's perfect in your greek yogurt as your breakfast or midday snack, but have you looked at your granola lately? You may be shocked to find out just how much sugar they add in to make it sweet and "lightly toasted" for you to enjoy. Consider making your own!
3. Wrap Sandwiches. Ever ordered a wrap because you forgot your clean lunch at home or didn't have time to prepare it thinking that the "whole wheat" version will be ok for today? You are not alone! Think again though - those wraps are often 1.5-2 times the amount of bread you would consume in a normal sandwich and much is hidden as the sandwich is wrapped up.
4. Salads and Low-Fat Dressing. This is a big one that gets a lot of people! We think that lettuce, vegetables, and grilled meats are healthy for us... well, they are! Until you add in the dressing! Most on a "diet" will reach for the low-fat version of the dressing. BAD IDEA! The fat is masked by sugar - and lots of it! Some salads have more calories than a cheeseburger! Opt for oil and vinegar and skip any fried flair in your salad.
5. Frozen Yogurt. Frozen yogurt just might be one of my weaknesses! It's creamy texture and chilling temperature make it the perfect treat. However, have you ever thought about how they cut the fat from the yogurt? By adding in sugar, thus extra calories. If you are going for a cheat, consider a low sugar ice cream or just stay away from it all together.
What foods have you fooled you?