Have you tried our Salsa Chicken? This recipe is just as easy but a few ingredients are changed/added to give it an Italian flair, which is why I named it after one of my favorite movie characters, Rocky Balboa (aka THE ITALIAN STALLION!). You can add some extra pasta sauce, sliced veggies, and/or quinoa pasta noodles to have a deliciously healthy spaghetti dinner ready in minutes!
- 3-4 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (we use Vidalia/Sweet)
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp bay leaves
1. Mix all ingredients (not including the chicken breasts) together in a blender/food processor (must hold at least 5 cups - we use a Vitamix) and blend for about 30 seconds until ingredients are mixed well.
2. Place blended pasta sauce in sauce pan and simmer on low/medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until sauce takes on a thicker consistency and a dark shade of red.
3. Mix chicken breasts and pasta sauce in crock pot and cook on low heat for at least 7 hours.
4. After 7 hours, you will notice the sauce looks very runny, this is normal. Remove crock pot from heating base, shred chicken with a wooden spoon or spatula and as it cools, the shredded chicken will absorb the juices from the pasta sauce.
Macros (based on a 6 oz serving):
- Calories: 160
- Fat: 2g
- Carbs: 2g
- Protein: 36g
He & She Tips: We like to make our own pasta sauce at home so that we can avoid the added sugars and other unwanted ingredients. You can use the store-bought pasta sauce but try to avoid the brands with a lot of added sugar, preservatives, etc. Muir Glen is usually a pretty good choice if your store carries it. You can simplify this recipe by adding 3-4 Tbsp of Italian seasoning rather most of the individual spices listed above.
Enjoy our recipes? Get help with your grocery shopping here.