This Autumn Harvest Stuffed Acorn Squash brings out the best flavors of the season: fresh cranberries, pecans, and acorn squash.
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring chicken stock, bay leaf, celery salt, sage, thyme, mustard, and rice to a boil. Once the liquid is boiling, turn the heat to low and cover. Let cook for 40-45 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Continue with the next steps while the rice cooks.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise. Spoon out the seeds; discard. Lightly coat the squash in EVOO and place it in a baking dish. Put in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the squash is golden and a fork easily inserts into the flesh of the squash (not through the skin side).
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet. Once the bacon is browned, remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel to absorb excess grease. Save the grease in the skillet for the next step.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to the greased skillet. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes then add the cranberries and pecans. Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes until the cranberries have popped and the mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat.
- At this point, the rice and squash should be cooked. Remove the bay leaf and fluff the rice with a fork. Mix the ingredients from the skillet into the rice to make the stuffing for the squash. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the squash from the oven and scoop the stuffing into the squash cavities until full. You should be able to get 3 large serving spoonfuls of stuffing into each 1/2 of squash. The rice should be sticky and will pack together nicely.
- Sprinkle dried parsley flakes or fresh parsley over the top and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American